Visitor
Tpholman

Xfinity remote control of TV volume

My remote doesn't do anything to the Samsung TV volume when in Cable Mode. The bars increase and decrease as though volume should change, but no sound level changes. In Cable mode the mute works, power works, etc. In TV mode the remote controls volume fine. I thought it was all working fine when the cable gy set it up last week.
Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Re: Xfinity remote control of TV volume

[ Edited ]

Check the remote's instruction sheet section on Volume Lock. If you don't have an instruction sheet, you can get one at http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpNFC.aspx?print=false&id=remotes#download.

To lock volume control to the TV:

1. Press TV
  2. Press and hold Setup until TV flashes twice, then release Setup
  3. Enter 9 9 3 (TV flashes twice)
  4. Press TV again (TV flashes twice)

Volume and Mute should now operate the TV even if the remote is in CABLE mode.

Please give this a try and let us know if it works for you.

Visitor
Tpholman

Worked fine. Thanks.
New Visitor
pamela027

Nope did not work.. still no volume control on comcast remote..

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

pamela027 wrote: Nope did not work.. still no volume control on comcast remote..

Did you program the remote code for the TV? Does volume control work after you press the TV button?

New Visitor
mspin

Worked Perfect. Finally, the remote controls it all!

New Visitor
cheenagow

u rok hey volumey fixay

Spoiler
:womanhappy:
New Visitor
DaDad039

Two thoughts:

1. The Xfinity instructions say to enter 993 and then press "VOL -", which didn't work.  Your instructions say to enter 993 and then press "TV", which WORKS:

INSTRUCTION SHEET:

1. Press TV
  4. Press VOL - (TV flashes four times)

YOUR INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Press TV
  4. Press TV again (TV flashes twice)

It seems the Remote unit instructions are incorrect.

2.  Now my problem with the "TV" solution per the above:

a. I use a SONY "Dream Machine" DVD Player/Sound System.  The previous remote control units had a code for this unit, but the new remote control units do not have a working code.

b. The previous DVR box and RCA connections to the TV have been upgraded to a newer DVR box and HDMI connections.  An installer said to simply supply the RCA sound output from the DVR to the the SONY, and unlock the volume control, then the Remote should provide the variable sound output to the SONY unit.

c.  I have not tried driving the Remote variable sound through the TV as previously configured.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

DaDad039 wrote: ... 1. The Xfinity instructions say to enter 993 and then press "VOL -" ...

Comcast wrote those instructions in a very confusing way. Althoug the heading is "Volume Lock", they actually perform an Unlock.

... I use a SONY "Dream Machine" DVD Player/Sound System.  The previous remote control units had a code for this unit, but the new remote control units do not have a working code. ...

The preferred hookup would be digital audio output from the DVR to an input on the Sony and using the Sony for volume control. But if you want to use an analog connection and control the volume with the DVR, you'll probably want to lock volume to the DVR:

1. Press CABLE
  2. Press and hold Setup until CABLE flashes twice, then release Setup
  3. Enter 9 9 3 (CABLE flashes twice)
  4. Press CABLE again (TV flashes twice)
New Visitor
DaDad039

Hi BruceW,

Thanks for your note back.

I locked the volume as you suggested, but still only have a fixed volume setting (with adjustment by the the SONY volume control), plus the Xfinity DVR Remote MUTE operation which still works.

The installer suggested that I connect the Motorola DCH3416 DVR bank of Digital  "S"/RCA/Optical " output RCA to the SONY -RCA- "Digital In", which provides a fixed audio signal which has not changed.

For reference,I also just now connected the DVR (apparent) Analog RCA to the SONY Analog RCA and disconnected the "Digital" RCA connection, which caused all sound to be lost.

As I suggested, the previous RCA connection through the Samsung TV allowed the DVR Remote volume key to work under the "Cable" DVR control.  However, I'm now using the HDMI connection to the TV without any RCA audio signal from the TV to the SONY, but attempting to use the variable volume control directly from the DVR box Remote.

Thanks for your continued consultation.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

DaDad039 wrote: ... DVR bank of Digital  "S"/RCA/Optical " output RCA to the SONY -RCA- "Digital In" ... HDMI connection to the TV ...

None of the DVR digital audio outputs, including HDMI, can be varied by adjusting the DVR's volume. Digital audio volume can only be adjusted on the device that converts the digital signal back into sound.

DVR volume control only works for the Analog Left and Right output jacks. I don't know why that didn't work for you -- it should!

New Visitor
DaDad039

Hi BruceW,

None of the DVR digital audio outputs, including HDMI, can be varied by adjusting the DVR's volume.

I just now disconnected the DVR & SONY Digital Audio "RCAs", and it turns out that with proper (increased) SONY volume adjustment, the DVR & SONY Analog "RCA" connections correctly provide the DVR Remote volume control.  :smileyhappy:

Thanks for your helpful explanations!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

You are welcome -- enjoy!

New Visitor
thelook4u

My Xfinity remote does not work on my RCA TV. I tried all the codes, 991 and 993 and neither work. Can some one help me?

New Visitor
marylieb

Not working

New Visitor
ARCHIE01

NO IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME, WHATS NEXT?

Visitor
trepsug

my  remote does not increase of volume on samsung tv

New Visitor
marklayne

Ok, I tried the 993 thing. Not only did it not solve the problem, but now I have a seperate, completely useless and ineffective volume bar that does not do anything at all. Is there a way to undo the 993 setting?

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

marklayne wrote: ... Is there a way to undo the 993 setting?

Depends on what you mean by "undo". What remote do you have, what programming steps did you follow, and what exactly isn't working correctly?

New Visitor
marklayne

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Normally when I press volume, a volume bar is at the bottom of the tv screen that changes length as you raise or lower the volume. For some reason my tv stopped taking commands from the remote (xfinity for the rng200n), and when I looked up troubleshooting, I found this thread and followed the instructions above. This didn't fix the problem, but instead gave me a diffent volume indicator at the top of the screen which was a series of vertical lines. When I tried to adjust the volume with this, nothing changed.

Anyway, I continued searching and found this solution in another thread.

This will disable Volume Lock for all devices. The Volume and Mute keys will send the codes for the selected device.

1. Press and hold the "Setup" key until a device key blinks twice.
  2. Type in the code 993. A device key should blink twice.
  3. Press and release the Volume Up (Vol +) button.
  4. A device key will blink FOUR times if successful

This seems to have cleared the issue of the new vol bar up, and things are now back to normal, but I'm still trying to figure out why the tv stopped accepting commands from the remote to begin with. This has happened a couple of times in the past week and reentering the TV code usually appeared to reset it.  

Now I suspect it may be signal interference from a new device in the house trying to connect to the wireless internet, though I'm really not tech savvy and am not sure how likely that is.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Odd. I would have expected a "993 Vol+" sequence to cause those symptoms instead of cure them. Never mind that though, glad you got it worked out!

New Visitor
marklayne

Ya, I think the first 993 sequence I entered was probably the fix for a different problem from what I was experiencing, so of course it didn't help. But I couldn't figure out how to turn it back off until I found the second sequence. I really should have just googled more before writing anything, but I do appreciate the prompt reply.

New Visitor
Stellabee

I don't know if it worked for them but it sure did for me. Thanks!
New Visitor
tanamaybach62

Re: Xfinity remote control of TV volume - SAMSUNG CODES

[ Edited ]

SAMSUNG TV & CABLE REMOTE SYNCING CODES
Luckily the Cable Technician who assisted me in setting up the cable box to my Samsung TV also has a Samsung TV.
The codes for syncing up the Comcast/Xfinity Remote to a Samsung TV are as follows:
10060 - 10812

You can find additional information regarding this via the link below:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-311866/samsung-tv-comcast-cable-remote

TanaMayBach62

New Visitor
jj20030

[ Edited ]

this worked for my samsung

1. Press CABLE
  2. Press and hold Setup until CABLE flashes twice, then release Setup
  3. Enter 9 9 3 (CABLE flashes twice)
  4. Press CABLE again (TV flashes twice)
New Visitor
JamesMiles

[ Edited ]
The instruction sheet walked me right through it in a matter of 15 seconds. It's hard enough keeping up with one remote and 2 was becoming impossible! Lol. Thanks!

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpNFC.aspx?print=false&id=remotes#download
New Visitor
Debbiegirl

I came online because I could not get my cable volume to work, only the tv volume would work and it was only producing very low volume even when it was maxed.  I figured the cable volume was down too low but without control of it I couldnt fix it. 

Just surfing around I found this webpage, was reading through, and saw the instructions provided for locking the volume and then post stated the directions provided on the instruction sheet was actually to UNlock volume.  I thought perhaps that was what had happened with my remote.  

I followed the instructions and it worked perfectly!!  : )    I was correct, the cable volume was stuck in a very low position which was why I could not get much sound even when the tv was maxed.  I am sooooo happy!!!  Thanks so much for leaving the old posts up for people to research....I believe this one is from 2012.  It was posted 2 years ago and is still providing help for some of us : )  Thanks again!!

Bronze Problem Solver
John3758

Debbiegirl wrote:

I came online because I could not get my cable volume to work, only the tv volume would work and it was only producing very low volume even when it was maxed.  I figured the cable volume was down too low but without control of it I couldnt fix it. 

Just surfing around I found this webpage, was reading through, and saw the instructions provided for locking the volume and then post stated the directions provided on the instruction sheet was actually to UNlock volume.  I thought perhaps that was what had happened with my remote.  

I followed the instructions and it worked perfectly!!  : )    I was correct, the cable volume was stuck in a very low position which was why I could not get much sound even when the tv was maxed.  I am sooooo happy!!!  Thanks so much for leaving the old posts up for people to research....I believe this one is from 2012.  It was posted 2 years ago and is still providing help for some of us : )  Thanks again!!

You can also do menu, menu, setup, audio setup, select to optimize to reset the cable box's volume.

New Visitor
pantonacci

[ Edited ]
This last tip solved the problem we were having. when we used the remote for the television the volume would hiss. Now that I've changed it according to the instructions although we can't use the volume on the Comcast remote at this time we can use the volume on the TV remote and it works just great.
New Visitor
AceT

By using the TV button I was unable to access the volume control.  Instead I had to follow the same proceedure but use the Cable button:  Cable, [hold] Setup, 9 9 3, and then Cable.

My remote is the large silver one with the grey button in the middle.

New Visitor
casson52

For a Samsung TV, replace the 9-9-3 code in the normal volume lock instructions with 1-0-0-6-0. This solved my problem. 

So:

1) Press "TV"

2) Hold "setup" until the TV button blinks twice

3) Press 1-0-0-6-0

4) Press VOL+ or TV again

5) Enjoy your single remote volume control. 

New Visitor
pantonacci

This worked! Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

casson52 wrote: ...

1) Press "TV"

2) Hold "setup" until the TV button blinks twice

3) Press 1-0-0-6-0

4) Press VOL+ or TV again

5) Enjoy your single remote volume control. 

Steps 1 through 3 are not about Volume Lock. Instead, they set the remote's TV control mode to one of the more common Samsung codes. Steps 4 and 5 are meaningless here -- they don't do anything. 

New Visitor
davidakouka

I'm having problem with one of the control, It doesn't mute or adjust the volume.

New Visitor
karenwiedmann

just push the volume increase button twice quickly