Contributor
pmarsh

Your EXPLORER settop is NOT AUTHORIZED for use please call...

[ Edited ]

It started with a new HD box "Your EXPLORER settee is NOT AUTHORIZED for use please call..."

Four reps later and 2hrs gone I return the box and start the process with another new box.  Same problem!!!

What the heck call customer service get a very nice rep blah blah blah all the same steps as the previous four reps.  Her final solution "leave it alone for the rest of the day, try it again tomorrow".  WOW the best tech advice I've ever received.  Are you kidding me Comcast????

I start digging around and find I can get into the box interface.  It's getting an IP so I know it's on the network.  I dig some more and I find what look to be software/firmware load errors??

apl_sa/ppv/daemon/ppvvdaemereq.c:606 (exception -0x2 While constructing EID List)

and another on with HEX 0xb

Then

Exception -0x2 20e "kBc_Err-14" Opening File 9bfs:///GW_APP/cfg.txt

It's like it can't load it's config file.

PLEASE HELP

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: Your EXPLORER settop is NOT AUTHORIZED for use please call...

Are you running the coax cable through a surge suppressor?

If so run it straight into the cable box. Sometimes surge suppressors block the activation signal or software downloads.

Contributor
pmarsh

No, Coax is coming directly from the wall. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Did you recently upgrade your service or is this just a replacement box?

If you upgraded service there may be filter in the coax line that could filter out the activation signals also.

Contributor
pmarsh

I already have a HD box in the house, this HD box is replacing the small converter box for my old TV that I just replaced.  Filter in the coax line?

Contributor
pmarsh

So lets just say I do have a line problem.  Wouldn't it be possible to plug this box in anywhere on the network to pull it's initial configuration file? 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Yes, you should be able to connect the box to any TV outlet with a good signal level and get it authorized.

It would be rare for a filter on one TV outlet line in the home, but not impossible.  It has been done but rare.

Contributor
pmarsh

No sure of how Comcasts network/DHCP is configured but I would assume I've got to be on the local network segment where the boxes MAC is authorized?  On average how long does it take to pull the initial config, not the guide?

Thanx

Contributor
pmarsh

Tried it at work, 30 miles aways from home and looks to have failed.  Plugged it all in the box runs through it's diags (front LEDS blink).  The power LED blinks 9 long blinks and goes out.  I let it sit for a few hours tried to turn it on with the power button and it won't come on?  Pulled the plug out for a minute and back in it did the same thing What The Heck!!!!!!!!

Contributor
pmarsh

[ Edited ]

It's finally working.  The only think the tech did was run his diag machine on the line.  "Signal is fine".   He told me this is a know problem.  

What a waste of my time, all the customer service reps and the techs time.  COMCAST FIX THIS YOU'LL SAVE MONEY and you'll have happier customers.

New Visitor
Lina081

I had the same issue, I was so frustrated..I called many times, spent over 5 hours on the phone trying to resolve this. The last call I made I asked to speak to someone in US, the guy I was speaking to was in the Philippines, I wanted to make sure everything was set up and they weren't just missing something. Finally got someone who knew what they were doing, since I picked up these boxes at the store, they were activated here but the serial numbers were not added to my account. She added my serial numbers within seconds there was a clear picture on my TV...YAY.

GOOD LUCK!!

New Visitor
USDZ

[ Edited ]

Hi

I am having the same problem, I am without TV since 4 days, I kept calling comcast no body were able to fix the problem

I have to wait their technician until Sunday

Really Bad costumer service , I am sending them their box soon, I don't wanna be their client anymore

Something funny , Everything was working fine for me, after I called to change the package , They messed up everything TV not working anymore and to have a technician to come to your house you need to wait a week

THAT'S NOT SERIOUS AT ALL

Contributor
DougMarlowe

I had a great experience lst night. The wait wasn't too long and the tech was very knowledgeable. I had unplugged my RNG200n from power and signal for about a month and went to set it back up. It was giving me the Your EXPOLORER settop is nNOT AUTHORIZED, Please call...

I had power failed it a few times but never got past APDL. This time it worked. Patience and faith. Comcast gets a point on this one. She seemed to know what she was doing. Oh. I called about 1AM and got the folks in the Phillipines. I rate them a 4 out of 5. 

New Visitor
Bostong

This has happened to me three times in two different homes, but with the same cable box. When this error message appears on the tv screen, the cable box, usually displaying the time, displays dots and dashes. I power off, wait until the cable box's dots and dashes disappear and the time appears again, then power on the cable box. My guess is that something is wrong with the wiring in some of Comcast's cable boxes. This is nothing the customer service reps are knowledgeable about, don't waste your time.