New Visitor

Your Explorer settop is not authorized for use?

Your Explorer settop is not authorized for use Please Call (888)COM- CAST, is what I have on my screen. The Box will not turn on at all and only has 4 dashs on the display front. Please help me. I have tried to call and have been switched to every call center there is but in my actual city of palmyra. Another thing is i have no house phone so i can not get past the phone proms to get to a live support person.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Your Explorer settop is not authorized for use?

Try 1-800-COMCAST.  My Comcast bill has another number to call for customer service, so perhaps yours does.  Was your box working before now?  Post back here if you still have no success.
New Visitor
rileychris

I jsut changed out boxes as I was having issues and they gave me a SA8300HD (had Cisco RNG200 before) and I hooked it up and am now getting the same error message. How'd you fix it?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I'd say call 1-800-COMCAST.  I assume that's what the guy who posted this two years ago did.

New Visitor
Mick219

Just had the same thing happen. Was working fine 30 min before. I had turned off tv then came back at midnight and turned it back on and there was the "Your Explorer settop is not authorized for use." Had the box less than a week. I'm waiting the 20 minutes to see if that works then will try unplugging for 30 sec. Just upgraded and not happy. Even worse if its out for Thanksgiving and the football games

New Visitor
AnotherCCUser

When you exchanged your box, you should have been given instructions to hook it up, plug it in, wait about 20 minutes until it finishes downloading updates, and then CALL COMCAST TO ACTIVATE THE NEW BOX.

The number they gave me to do so was 1-800-865-4935; this takes you directly to the activation desk.  They will ask for some account information and then the last four characters of the new box's serial number (label on the back side).

Until you do this the box will not work.  Once you have done it, your box should come to life within  a few moments.

New Visitor
Mick219

Did as you suggested and still not working. Comcast directed me to get another box which I did after the Thanksgiving holiday. Now this new box is having issues of its own. As soon as I hooked it up it started blacking out periodically. Some times it would go 20 minutes without a problem and then just start flickering back and forth to black screen again. Checked my connections and called Comcast again. She got the serial # and we started the correction process all over. Now the screen is just black. Have to wait 4 days for a technician to come out. 2 NEW boxes in 7 days and each has a different problem......Hate to put an ugly dish on my roof but this is unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Visitor
Mick219

I asked for a corporate number to call since I was having so many issues. 1st the supervisor gave me a number that was OUT OF SERVICE. Then when I called back he would not talk to me again and the person whom did said "We do not know the corporate number."  I called the following day and customer service could not give me a corporate number either instead gave me a mailing address. Sounds like there is no accountability or common sense here. I will be reporting my experiences to BBB.

New Visitor
AnotherCCUser

Mick219 wrote:

... Now this new box is having issues of its own. As soon as I hooked it up it started blacking out periodically. Some times it would go 20 minutes without a problem and then just start flickering back and forth to black screen again. Checked my connections and called Comcast again. She got the serial # and we started the correction process all over. Now the screen is just black. Have to wait 4 days for a technician to come out. 2 NEW boxes in 7 days and each has a different problem......Hate to put an ugly dish on my roof but this is unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny you should say that...  I only recently returned to Comcast after years as a U-Verse customer.  The RNG200N DVR box the installer put in had the exact recurring blackout issue you described above; blackouts never laster more than two or three seconds, but were incredibly annoying.  I took the box to the local service center and exchanged it for a new one and it has been working perfectly for the last five days.

New Visitor
Torryann

I have been having the same problem, just picked my box up this past Thursday.  I've talked to three different tech's and this last one told me that there is no IP address loaded on the box.  I can either exchange it or have a tech come out.  I'll be bringing my box back tomorrow but am worried that the same thing will happen.  I'm back to watching very limited channels for a pretty pricy cable bill.