New Visitor
stpand43

atsc tuners

i have two tv receivers and was careful to purchase models with ATSC tuners , i also have a panasonic dvr with an atsc tuner.

will i need set top boxes or converters for the upcominf digital migration ?

Networking Expert
Weil

Re: atsc tuners

stpand43 wrote:

i have two tv receivers and was careful to purchase models with ATSC tuners , i also have a panasonic dvr with an atsc tuner.

will i need set top boxes or converters for the upcominf digital migration ?

What "upcoming digital migration"?  Do you live in Canada?

sam

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You will need a box to receive most digital channels (other than locals, which will be in clear QAM).  Comcast will provide a couple of free small DTA boxes, but these will not receive On Demand, premium, or most channels beyond expanded basic.

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

ATSC is only used for "over the air" broadcasts.  It is not used on a cable system.  Cable systems use QAM modulation.

New Visitor
stpand43

thank you for setting me straight . as an aside the tv currently can access the hd broadcast channels through cable . for example 02-1 is nbc hd and 35-1 is fox hd. comcast has warned us that after the enhancement , any tv without a digital device will no longer receive channels 23 to 75 including espn , espn2 and cnn because they broadcast exclusively in digital format. i have not been able to learn if this will affect my units or not. the online / phone line / in person help desks were not able to explain this to me.

the manual states the tv is compatible ntsc-m , atsc , 64 & 256 qam television systems , vhf 2-13 , uhf 14-69 , catv 1-135 , cadtv 1 - 135 , dtv 2-69 . my pan dmr ez28  also references a digital tuner. as ntsc with the same channel capability.

i have never been concerned before , i merely connected the cable and scanned for channels.

now , i am asking for informed advice as to how my devices will work

Recognized Contributor
halfband

Your tv does QAM so your tv is already able to receive the digital cable channels now.

The digital conversion eliminates analog channels (those used by the older tv sets) and that is what the digital adapters like the DTA they talk about are intended to keep going.

The good news is that you will most likely be able to get your local HD channels.  The bad news is that in many areas they are also now encrypting everything that is not "Basic" which means you will loose 23 to 75 or the equivalant channels.  This is not because your tv cannot tune those channels,  it is because they will now only be available with a box due to encryption.  

A DTA will restore access to those channels (a dta is a small very basic cable box), but only in standard definiton.  For HD beyond your local channels you will need to get a regular HD cable box.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The non-local digital channels will be encrypted, so that you won't be able to use your QAM tuner to receive channels such as ESPN after the transition.

New Visitor
stpand43

wow , thanks for the instant education by all on the board. i guess you could subcontract for comcast.. or blackmail them lol.

i subscribe to expanded basic so maybe if i just update the channel scanning wvery so often , i might be able to find them. i have already detected at least 25 channels that are scrambled so they cannot be viewed.

i might be in the market this fall for another tv ( 46 " 1080 ). i currently have an LG 37" 720. Also , is there a tuneable dvr that i could use with a primary splitter ?

thanks so much for the help. my wife will be happy to know that her tv setup for " General Hospital " and her Ice Skating will remain the same.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You might consider getting a TiVo or Moxi DVR, both of which accept cable cards, which allow you to receive all your channels (other than On Demand). TiVo requires a subscription; Moxi doesn't, but is more expensive to purchase.
Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

WarEagle57 wrote:
You might consider getting a TiVo or Moxi DVR, both of which accept cable cards, which allow you to receive all your channels (other than On Demand). TiVo requires a subscription; Moxi doesn't, but is more expensive to purchase.

Or you could look into Tuners that accept Cable Cards and talk to your computer that has Windows 7 and Windows Media Center.

New Visitor
Smokeyrd

Thats the way i went. I dropped $300 on a Ceton card (from NewEgg) and its been great. Nothing like being able to manage your DVR without concern over running out of space. If you ever run low, go to the store, buy a 2 Terabyte HDD, and voila! You now have 4 more months of storing all your favorite shows before you need to compress the video to any degree!

New Visitor
wheineman

Not to mention a better guide, better search, and better recording settings that the comcast DVR.