Contributor
jamodio

cable box freezes

Why does my cable box keep freezing.  It freezes the picture sometimes, or it will lock on the channel I'm on and won't let me change (by remote or manually).  Yesterday I had to unplug my cable box 4 times!!  This used to happen once in a while, but now it's very frequent. 

Can I just swap Cable boxes with Comcast?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: cable box freezes

sure you can try that but your best bet is going to be to get a tech out to your home to troubleshoot your wiring which sounds like it could be the issue.  If the box swap does not work then a tech visit should be scheduled.

Contributor
jamodio

Thanks for the response.  I think I'd rather try a swap first.  I'll call them on my lunch break. I believe it's the cable box.  It also screws up several of my DVR recordings--when I go to watch them, the picture will freeze and move a couple of frames every minute. 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

those symptoms sound signal related, but try the box swap if it still happens then you need a call.

Contributor
jamodio

That's my plan:  do the box swap and if any issues continue, I'll call for a tech visit. 

I checked for a signal problem, but according to the website, the signal is fine.  I strongly believe it's the box because when this "freeze" happens, none of the buttons on the box will work at all. 

Hopefully a new box will do the trick!!

Contributor
AudSalt

Re: Brief interruptions on HD channel

I guess I'll let comcast come out again and do all of their tests, switch my box and tell me I'm good to go, again. I have had Comcast for 2 years and 2 months and I am currently on my 5th cable box. Oh well, I guess there is no happy answer. Thanks for your time.

New Visitor
Tessian

Jamodio -- I just started experiencing this SAME EXACT ISSUE a few days ago!  Saturday morning I go to turn on the TV and the cable box (HD DVR) refuses to turn on by any means, so I had to unplug.  Same thing happened yesterday except this time it was on at the time so it was stuck on that channel, had to unplug again.  I was about to call Comcast and get it replaced too because nothing's changed with my setup for over a year now.  As you said it can't be a signal problem when the box refuses to accept any button presses on the unit itself.

Let me know how you make out, I'll be trying the same thing soon.

Contributor
jamodio

Tessian--Happened again last night.  I put off calling yesterday, because things seemed alright.  But last night I was watching tv and all was fine.....UNTIL I went to change the channel.  There's a little light that flashes (to the immediate right of the time) as it receives signals from the remote.  After I entered the channel the light lit up and stayed on.  It never changed channels, but the little blue description screen of what was on my desired channel came on and stayed on the screen.......until I finally unplugged the box.....again!  So frustrating. 

Today, I'll be making the call.