Contributor
aburchrun

cable boxes, dvr not working

cable not out (works fine when connected directly to tvs) but none of the digital boxes work, nor the dvr.  tried powering down, didn't help.   what's up?

Contributor
aburchrun

Re: Screen displays channel and program information, no video or audio...

yeah.  cable not out (works fine when connected directly to tvs) but none of the digital boxes work not the dvr.  tried powering down, didn't help. 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: cable boxes, dvr not working

what are the boxes doing?  any error messages or anything?

Contributor
aburchrun

the message was to the effect that "service has been interrupted...".  SInce the cable worked directly into tv I assumed something to do with digital signal? 

It just cleared up on its own and is working now (out since yesterday), but I would be interested to know the story, as it happens rather frequently.

Contributor
aburchrun

not working again.   website reports "no outages" in my area. 

I'm really starting to hate comcast

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Please call and insist on a tech visit.  The tech will have the proper test equipment to find and fix your signal issues which are most likely very close to your home.  This could be fitting issues, drop cable damage, splitter issues.

Make sure your F connectors are snug on the back of the box, at the TV outlet and any accessable splitters.

It will not fix itself, and most likely not a RF system issue, but more local to your location that a tech needs to come out.  Digital signals are carried on higher frequencies than the analogs, and there is more loss at the higher frequencies.  Many times in area's that just went through the digital transition older splitters are in place that won't handle the higher frequencies, old RG59 coax has more loss, crimp on F connectors cause issues, and other cabling, splitters and fitting issues can cause the loss enough for the digital box not to work.  Splitters need to be rated 5 - 1000 mhz, and older splitters rated for 400, 500 or 600 mhz will not pass the higher frequencies.

Contributor
aburchrun

thx - tech is scheduled for tmrw.   not right that they charge customers to replace/repair their own equipment, though.  had them credit my acct already for charging me $46 to replace a section of their own cable.  for all I know my current problem is being caused by something that tech did

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You are not charged if the issue is outside the house, or with the equipment.

You can be charged if the issue is with the inside coaxial cabling and related splitters & connectors since the inside coaxial cabling is owned by the homeowner just like your plumbing, telephone wiring and electrical wiring.  If you subscribe to the monthly wiring maintenance, then that covers the inside wiring. 

The tech is the one who codes the job if you will be charged or not, so if you feel you were charged for issues outside or with the equipment, the charge can be contested.

Contributor
aburchrun

ah ha - just found out my next door neighbor has same problem. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I hope someone called it in, or everyone on the block will think the neighbor called when no one called.

Contributor
aburchrun

figured out that the problem presents every time it rains.  every comcast customer in cul-de-sac has the same problem. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified and will contact the local group.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team during the business week.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

Could you please send me a Private message with your account number so I may investigate this matter?

Private Messages (PM’s)

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small white envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The white envelope turns to yellow when you receive a PM.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the yellow envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-