New Visitor
mmalone53

cable card activation

Is there some special trick to getting a cable card activated for a tivo?

i'm on my 4th cust serv rep and just about 1/2 hour on hold.

Recognized Contributor
halfband

Re: cable card activation

[ Edited ]

Sort of,

Calling during normal business hours on weekdays has a better success rate.  But in general you just keep calling back until you get a rep that can handle the activation, generally about a 1 in 5 success rate.

Contributor

Unfortunately, although FCC regulations require them to support cable cards, they do the minimum, and it's just a matter of luck whether or when you get a rep who actually knows what he's doing.  It took me two visits, and several hours waiting (the old "some time between 8 and 5") for him to show up.  First one didn't have a card, the second one did, and actually had experience with them.  Of course, that's not doing a self-install, but I imagine it's the same thing dealing with phone reps.  It's a lot like playing roulette.

New Visitor
mmalone53

Five reps, over an hour on the phone. The last two seemed like they were trying but no reults.

I think my next call will be to FIOS.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

It's well posted on this forum not to get a cable card paired on the weekend.  The local people that have permissions to get cable cards paired correctly work during the weekday in my opinion.

Please email the Comcast Cares Team at we_can_help@comcast.com and give them all the details, they can get in touch with the right local people to get it working.

We can escalate it, but it would take longer than going directly.

New Visitor
mmalone53

Thank you all for your input. The last rep really tried and then gave me a tel # for support and that's when I finally got to someone who really knows the tivo machine.  We didn't solve the problem but at this level the customer service was excellent. 

New Visitor
mjermine

[ Edited ]

The Xfinity/Comcast CableCARD self-install number is 1-877-405-2298 to activate a new installation.

It took a long time to find this number.  If you called the general customer service number instead, you get bounced around.  On my first attempt I ended up in the Internet Customer Service Department and the tech didn't even know what a CableCARD was.

New Visitor
Ersan

Yes!!! thank you so much mjermine.

I spent an hour on the phone with general support telling me that if a technician installed a cablecard into my HDHomerun Prime he would lose his job.  They also got very angry when I said it was an FCC requirement that they support CableCards.  I called that number and instantly a technician picked up that helped me activate.

New Visitor
mrwindex

Having experienced in the past the toxic combination of TIVO and the cable card from Comcast I decided to try this number. The call was answered on the third ring by a courteous rep who assured me I had reach the tright person. The call took only ten minutes and all premium channels were active within a brief period. Thanks mjermine for the tip!
Contributor
Lonestar81

When Comcast gives a customer a cable card for self install they also handout a pamplet witht he install instructions.  Phone number is listed inside.  Dont know how long they have been doing it but when I got anotehr card in Jan they gave me the pamplet.

New Visitor
RoscoeH

I received a replacement Tivo box. I could not see my premium channels or music channels. I called on a Saturday afternoon. Called this number and was on hold for nearly 20 minutes. Finally got through and after providing info to verify who i am and my account I was able to provide serial number, cable id. After about ten minutes I was seeing my missing channels. Thanks for the number.

New Visitor
thesmiths2

Thank you SO SO SO much for this alternative phone number, mjermine! I think you saved my sanity!

New Visitor
thesmiths2

YOU ARE AN ANGEL!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!

:smileylaugh:

New Visitor
TivoManiac

Comcast Tivo cable card cablecard move and activation

I just did a move of cablecard from Tivo Series 3 to Tivo Premiere 4. Set up the new Tivo as far as possible with coax and internet connected (about 2 hours for new service update from Tivo). Called Comcast cablecard help at 1-877-405-2298 and a live person answered who knew exactly what tivo sceens to view and which remote buttons to push. She did not need the old one running, so I turned it off and popped the cablecard out and into the new Premiere 4 while powered up. Tivo immediately recognized it, so hot swapping is supported. After answering a few questions about the cable card numbers, the Comcast rep had me up and running in 10 minutes. It took about 20 minutes to get the channels, and an hour for the the premium (HBO Encore) ones to show up.

New Visitor
masterli

I just want to say thank you for providing that phone number.  I called the general number as well.  The lady did not ask for all the relevant numbers so I was suspicious that she didn't know what she was doing.  She asked me to just wait.  My previous activation went instantly furthering my suspicion.  I searched and found the post/phone# above and the new rep even knew of a HDHomeRunPrime.  She got it up and running instantly.  I was only given the CableCard at the store.  No alternative number was provided.  Worked great.  Thanks!

New Visitor
Lepuridin

Thank you for saving my weekend. My TIVO went for service and this number salvaged my weekend without the need to be on the phone for hours. The CSRs seemed to know what they were talking about even though it took two calls to get both cards up and running due to a typo made during the first phone call. While I wasted a trip to the local center (it was closed), calling again to reattempt activatiion was a success. I spent an hour whereas a few years ago would have spent hours on the phone in frustration.  

Thank you again for this number.

New Visitor
iZerreg

Re: 1-877-405-2298 and cable card activation

Don't bother with any other approach - call 1-877-405-2298. It rang once and I spoke with "Carlo" who immediately appologized for the problems I'd been having getting my cablecard activated in my new TiVo Roamio. It didn't take 60 seconds and the 'locked' channels flicked on. When I asked him to stay on the phone just a little longer so that I could verify that my HBO and Showtime were working he said "no problem". Less than 60 seconds after THAT both HBO and Showtime came on!!! THANK YOU CARLO - YOU'RE THE BEST >> 1-877-405-2298 <<

New Visitor
iZerreg

Re: cable card activation - BEST ADVICE bears repeating!!!

[ Edited ]

After wasting a day on and off the phone with Comcast numbskulls I finally found this answer here in the forums. This is a repeat of an earlier response I gave. I hope I save you the hours of frustration and wasted energies I experienced until I found this number.

Don't bother with any other approach - call 1-877-405-2298. It rang once and I spoke with "Carlo" who immediately apologized for the problems I'd been having getting my cablecard activated in my new TiVo Roamio. It didn't take 60 seconds and the 'locked' channels flicked on. When I asked him to stay on the phone just a little longer so that I could verify that my HBO and Showtime were working he said "no problem". Less than 60 seconds after THAT both HBO and Showtime came on!!! THANK YOU CARLO - YOU'RE THE BEST >> 1-877-405-2298 <<

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

You do realize you are responding to problems that are 3, 6, 12 and 24 months old?  That is indeed that correct number to call for help installing a cable card (make sure you make the call on a weekday during normal business hours)..

New Visitor
davidac123

Don't even need to call during normal bussiness hours.  I called 9 PM CST on Friday night, and was on hold for about 2 minutes.  Got a woman who knew the Tivo.  But it seems like the cable card is blown.  It says acquiring channel information, but it sits at 50%.  She says give it an hour and see if there is any change.  And if not the cable card is bad and I need to go to a local comcat store and get a new cable card.  She was on the phone with me for 25 minutes.  Very nice.  Great number to call.  Thank you.

New Visitor

Great Number! went right to the tech.

only hitch was i was talking from tech to tech and while they were switching me around they rebooted my modem...thus disconnecting me while on hold.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lonestar81 wrote:

When Comcast gives a customer a cable card for self install they also handout a pamplet witht he install instructions.  Phone number is listed inside.  Dont know how long they have been doing it but when I got anotehr card in Jan they gave me the pamplet.

I don't know what area you live in, but in the Jackson, MS service center, they've never heard of either the pamphlet or given me a phone number for cablecard activations. I've gotten 4 cards over the last 3 months and I've never gotten anything but the "naked" card with firmware that was first issued in April 2009.

I had to do my own research. I'm sure many people had the same experience as me.

Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

----------------------------------------------------

class77 said

I don't know what area you live in, but in the Jackson, MS service center, they've never heard of either the pamphlet or given me a phone number for cablecard activations. I've gotten 4 cards over the last 3 months and I've never gotten anything but the "naked" card with firmware that was first issued in April 2009.

----------------------------------------------------

The cable card I got in Huntsville, AL in January 2012 came with a pamphlet that showed what information I needed and what Comcast number to call to activate the card. The title of the pamphlet I got was:

XFINITY TV CABLECARD Self-Installation Instructions

7/12/11 2:29 PM

The number to activate the cable-card shown in the pamphlet was the same as the other people mentioned above.

New Visitor
mjermine

Wow.  People are still commenting on this!  I think the phone number is pretty timeless for those nay-sayers.

Comcast obviously has no interest in updating their procedures to make it easer to register/troubleshoot cablecards.  They just don't make the same revenue renting cable cards as they do with HD-DVR set top boxes. 

Also, Imagine how many people return genuinely bad cable cards just to have the service center hand it out to the next customer because service center's don't want to know anything about cable cards.  And it seems like most (but not all) service centers forget to hand out informational pamphlets with new cable cards.

As a side note: I've since moved and am now a Cox Communication customer with a cable card to a Ceton Windows 7 Media Center.  Cox handled the activation MUCH MUCH better, it was smoother overal, less problems, and they sent me everything I needed through the mail.  I do miss Comcast's system which appears to have a better picture overall (less signal compression).

- MJ

Recognized Contributor
DeltaOne

RE: Also, Imagine how many people return genuinely bad cable cards just to have the service center hand it out to the next customer because service center's don't want to know anything about cable cards.  And it seems like most (but not all) service centers forget to hand out informational pamphlets with new cable cards.

I just returned my Comcast STBs and went all TiVo about a month ago.  Went through four CableCards to get two good ones.  And the "informational" set up sheet my local office gave me with the CableCards had the wrong phone number for activation (it had the regular tech help number, not the CableCard activation number).

Regular Problem Solver

I am on my second CableCARD myself. The first one was probably ok because I think Comcast was not activating it right. The instructions say you need:

1. Host ID

2. Data ID

3. CableCARD Serial Number

I found out what helps was to have the Comcast support person check the status and read back the informaion you gave them. If these do not match what you gave them then they need to try the activation again.

New Visitor
Konnerth

Wow, I wish I'd searched for this before I had problems.  I picked up a CableCARD on Saturday from a Comcast Service Center (after 45 minutes in line) and got no brochure.  The rep did highlight the line on my receipt that said I should call the general number or activate online.  So I activated online and it indicated everything was OK.  But I didn't get the premium channels or some other ones.

I spent 3+ hours on the phone and chat with 4 different Comcast reps (I would get disconnected and have to go through the entire story again, except for one gal who transfered me to Tivo support, which was closed for the night).

The next day I spoke with Tivo support who said my card was activated but not properly paired, and gave me this CableCARD Activation number (he tried to stay on the line with me but was having phone problems).  The woman who answered looked up my account, saw there was no Host ID or Data ID for the card (apparently info from my Tivo box), and got them from me.  Within ten minutes I got all the channels I should have.  This information was on every error screen I got from the Comcast channels that weren't authorized, but no one ever asked me for them.

Comcast needs better systems, better employee training, or both!

New Visitor
freyguy

[ Edited ]

To this forum: THANK YOU.

---

You just saved me TONS of time with Comcast. This company has gotten a bit better for customer service, but in this case, I tried the standard help line twice in two hours (two separate cases) and they claimed that they "sent a refresh signal" and that it would clear up in 45 minutes or so. To me, that is just a tactic to close the call out since it requires a LONG wait time. For CableCARD issues with Comcast/Xfinitiy, there is only one department in the organization that handles this work. It is the phone number supplied by this forum (note that this was not implied or stated by either of the Comcast reps that I initially contacted). On the other hand, the CableCARD department was fast, efficient, courteous, and KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. I called the 1-877-405-2298 phone number - it rang about 5 times, picked up, I explained my situation (I recently switched from a Series 3 Premiere XL to a Tivo Roamio Pro) - the tech told ME that this was the likely issue, and said that they were the only department that handles CableCARD pairings/changes. In other words, NO OTHER DEPARTMENT even has access to do this work, so don't even bother working with the primary service. I left my new Tivo on HBO (which had the "not authorized, call your provider" message and within 1 minute of work by the tech at this phone number, it immediately lit up live. HUGE KUDOS to both this forum (without which I would not have found this number) and to THIS DEPARTMENT within Comcast. They are very friendly and even noticed that I had tried twice before (in the ticketing system under my account I guess) and went out of their way to apologize for my troubles (which wasn't necessary since the way they handled it is all the apology I needed - GREAT WORK. Again: CableCARD or Tivo related issues: Call >> 1-877-405-2298 << and you will be happy.

Have the following information ready:

1. Host ID -
2. Data ID -
3. CableCARD Serial Number -
New Visitor
SQUIDWARD360

[ Edited ]

You must have gotten lucky. I called this number and they told me it was the cable box only department and they transfered me to their cable card department. The person in their cable card department had no idea what I was talking about when I needed to re-pair the cable card to my replacement Tivo. They transferred me to tech support....which was Tivo.

called back to the same number and got someone who knew what I was talking about and it has been taken care of.