New Visitor
lovetocook945

captioning How to get rid of it?

Can't get rid of captioning.  Have tried many methods and nothing works.  Tried the directions in the latest booklet and that did not work.  HELP!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: captioning How to get rid of it?

Normally the closed captioning is a function of your TV, and it would be on your TV remote control. 

Check you TV manual, and if you can't find it, post the brand and model, and we can try and find the manual online to help.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

If you have a Motorola cable box, see this.

New Visitor
lovetocook945

Re: Unwanted close caption

I turned off the cable box, pressed menu and got four items MUTE,AUDIO,VIDEO AND SETUP. The SYStem scrolls through only these four options and I cannot get any other display. I go to video and press OK nothing happens.  Same with audio and setup. HELP ME GET RID OF THESE CLOSED CAPTIONS.

Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

If you are using an SA box, go into menu, and go to captioning and use the right arrow to turn it to off

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

The post directly above was originally in another thread-since it dealt with the same thing, I moved it here.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
dpr5553

Is it possible through the Motorola stb to mute and have cc appear like the old days?  Now it is either all or none.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

did you enable CC on your tv?  For motorola boxes with the box off press menu, in there you will see where you turn cc on.

New Visitor
dpr5553

Thanks for the reply. I enabled the CC through the Motorola box. The Vizio tv will not allow me to enable CC, will not allow me to access the CC application on the menu. I think it has something to do with hookup through hdmi. The Motorola box will not allow me to setup CC to appear only when the tv is muted, CC appears all ot the time when enabled.
Contributor
spiegelm1

It is true you can toggle the CC captions through shutting off the Motorola Box, but it is very inconvenient system for somebody who wants CC on some shows, but not others. Shutting off the box interrupts any recordings that are in process as well as the show you are watching. Comcast needs to add a CC toggle to its on screen menu system. The Comcast DVR with the TIVO guide using the same Motorola DVR has this option, so it can be done.

I have emailed and called Comcast a number of times about this, but nobody seems to care enough to make this a priority.

New Visitor
Patricia0208

[ Edited ]

I thought it was just me!  I also would hit mute and rewind so to catch a word or phrase on ondemand.  Then the closed captioning would go on.  I would just have to hit the volume button and the sound would come back on the closed captioning would go away. Now this can't be done???  I agree.  I do not want to have the closed captioning on all the time.  Has anyone figured out a better way to do this then turning off the cable, going into the settings and changing things and then turning the cable box back on?  How come every time there are advances, some things go backwards?

New Visitor
1Hummingbird1

I am trying to figure this one out too! We want to have the closed captioning go on when we press the mute button (for example to see the dialogue for a few moments) and then have the captioning go back off automatically when we turn the sound back on? Please help us!
New Visitor
dpr5553

I am pretty sure that the issue has to do with the HDMI cable hookup from the cable box to the tv.  If you hook up with coax cable the CC function should work on your tv.  Does anyone know if tv or cable box manufacturers have resolved this on newer products?