New Visitor
jlhjump
Accepted Solution

channel disruptions

I extended my cable line to my garage, at first it seemed all worked ok. I started having issues on just certain channels, weather channel, and some other local channels. Contacted comcast as a power failure and they reset everything but made no difference. I don't understand why some channels are fine and some aren't. I checked all connections and cables. even switched boxes around, no difference. Help

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: channel disruptions

This could be caused by a weak signal, which can affect only certain channels. Check the connections to the cable box, especially the incoming coax, and eliminate any unnecessary splitters.

To check signal strength with a Motorola box, tune to the offending channel, turn off the box with the remote, then within two seconds hit "OK/Select." This will bring up the diagnostics screen. Select "Inband Status" (probably page d04) and look for "SNR" for the tuner(s). This value should be in the mid to upper 30s. You may be able to improve the signal strength by adding a signal amplifier to the incoming cable line.

It also may be a weak signal caused by problems outside your house, in which case a call to 1-800-COMCAST to have them send out a tech to check on it may be of benefit.

What type cable did you use?  RG6 is recommended.

New Visitor
jlhjump

I used rg6 cable. I checked my signal strength as you suggested on my unit in the house. 34.33

the problem is on one of the smaller boxes, that remote does not have the buttons to access the diagnostics unless there is another way. I called comcast but keep getting recordings to call again later due to storms?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

If it's worth the trouble to you, you might temporarily take the box from the house and check the signal strength in the garage with it.

New Visitor
jlhjump

Thanks wareagle. I checked my signal strength in the garage and it is only 27.5 on channels I can get and 0 on some that I should. I guess I will look for the amplifier you spoke of.

Again, Thanks