New Visitor
catrocket
Accepted Solution

closed captioning

Before installing (comcast cable) Xfinity I had closed captioning available through the Menu button on the TV remote. Now, with Xfinity I find no closed captioning option.  My TV remote just says CC off and does not switch to CC on.

How do I enable closed captioning?

Equipment is Comcast DVR box connected to Olevia 232T12 HD TV via HDMI.

Comcast support help still has not helped at all.  Please, I am missing half my shows here, the same goes for computer streaming, I can't get shows like Game of Thrones and Once Upon a Time to play with subtitles even though they were doing so before the Comcast reinstall.

Please help, it is very very frustrating to have to turn the volume up so loud that it offends other people in the house.  Thank you for your attention to this matter.  I hope you can help me.        

Here is my non-technical question on this issue:

Why would they disenfranchise the hearing-impaired community by not enabling the closed captioning feature with Xfinity?

Contributor

Re: closed captioning

[ Edited ]

With or without the Xfinity, your TV should still control the CC (when it is available through the broadcast).

If your TV is showing CC is off, then you need to turn it on. You will need to read the manual for your TV if it does switch with the left or right arrow on your TV's remote (NOTE: the Comcast remote may not operate all of your TV's functions, you may need to use the remote that came with your TV).

See if this works:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/NO-Closed-captioning-RNG110-switched-on-in-sett...

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

If you have a motorola box, the only way to turn the cc on and off is by turning the cable box off and pressing menu, that will take you to the box config menu, there you can turn it on or off.

New Visitor
dml1947

You can find the user manual for the cable box under "support" It tells you how to enable the closed captioning.  Once the cable box is enabled the closed captions will appear on both regular and HD channels.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

If the TV is connected to the cable box using HDMI or component connectors (which means any HD), then you must use the cable box to toggle closed caption, which necessitates turning the box off.  If you use coax, composite, or s-video then you can use the TV selection to toggle CC.  See this reference.

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

I want to thank you thank you thank you!!  Comcast support couldn't help me but your instructions turned on the closed captioning in less than 10 seconds....thank goodness for people like you!  This message is in response to rog286713.

Visitor

I am hearing impaired and we just got an HDTV. Soon as I connected the Infinity box we lost the option to use CC while using the TV remote. How do I get CC on with the comcast remote. Your responses to me here are not helpful. The box is not motorola it says infinity. Somebody please help! Thanks.

Regular Contributor

My work around this issue so that I can just turn on/off CC with tv remote:

I have the HDMI and the coax connections both hooked up from the DVR to the TV.

If I need CC I put TV to input channel 3 and if I do not need CC I put TV input on HDMI.

New Visitor
bpdurand

Thanks for the information. I have been fighting with this for years.

BTW, Roll Tide!

New Visitor
bpdurand

That is an absolutely positively brilliant solution.

New Visitor
bpdurand

WarEagle57 - I am confused about something which I just realized.  I use component connectors.  I have a DCH Motorola 3416 box.  The closed captioning works just fine through my TV controls on non-HD channels. However, it does not work on HD channels.  Since everything goes through the component connectors why does it work for the non-HD channels.  I have not tried with this box but with a previous box the CC did work on HD channels when I set it on the DVR but as others have said it is cumbersom to set. From what you said it seems that if one uses component connectors it would not work at all.  Am I mis-understanding something?

Contributor
clazman

Very interesting!

I have just the opposite.

Closed captioning started to day on its own and I do not have the setting you described to turn it off.

As was sugested you should be able to closed captioning at the TV settings.

Good Luck!!

New Visitor
jmscolorado

Thanks

New Visitor
gbsinga

It's easier than you think. When using a DVR and while the TV is on, press the Menu button on the front of the DVR. Use the remote to move to the Menu icon.  Choose Setup.  Choose Closed Captioning. Change it from Off to On. Exit.

That's it!  Maybe someone else wrote this in this long thread. I didn't take time to read them all. I gave up when someone suggested HDMI plus Coax connection. I knew that the DVR must be able to do this.

New Visitor
DMVer

On Closed Captions, I know how to activate the CC on Comcast's Motorola 3416 box using the cumbersome procedure of powering off the box, going to menu and selecting CC1.  What bugs me is that Verizon Fios uses the same Motorola box but they have included a button on their remote to switch the CC feature on/off.  Hence Comcast chose deliberately to not support this feature in a convenient manner.  What a lousy way to treat  people who need to use CC selectively.  Don't be surprised if I switch to Fios. 

New Visitor
jrlilley

I cannot get closed captioning on the HD channels or the DVR and lately I cannot even receive HD channels, such as, say 5.1 while channel 5 has them.  I called 1-800-comcast about three weeks ago and they said they would have to refer the problem to engineering, which apparently has has been on vacation since. This is unacceptable service and I am looking into satellite.  Some non-premium channels are also defunct.

In addition, internet response has slowed considerably since comcast started pushing business class.  They may just push me off their client list.

New Visitor
DMVer

My Mitsubishi tv has a Firewire (IEE1394) input and when I connected it to my Comcast box, I could activate the  CC on a hi-definition picture.  This was wonderful, except for the fact that the graphic overlays (menu, channel guide, etc) are not transmitted from the Motorola box over Firewire.  So I keep the HDMI connected for use most of the time  and end up switching to  the firewire input when I need captions.  This is awkward but better than the other options.

I am not sure but I think that Comcast can remedy the lack of  graphic overlays via firewire more easily than implementing CC over HDMI or Component inputs (as the latter may require the motorola 6416 box and a new/reprogrammed remote).   

New Visitor
NBAR

On Mar 6, 2013 DMver wrote "On Closed Captions, I know how to activate the CC on Comcast's Motorola 3416 box using the cumbersome procedure of powering off the box, going to menu and selecting CC1.  What bugs me is that Verizon Fios uses the same Motorola box but they have included a button on their remote to switch the CC feature on/off.  Hence Comcast chose deliberately to not support this feature in a convenient manner.  What a lousy way to treat  people who need to use CC selectively.  Don't be surprised if I switch to Fios." 

My question is what is a Verizon Fios?  If that will solve this problem I want one.  Comcast sure as heck does not want to solve it.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

nbar

FIOS=Fiber Optic System. Just the way the service is brought into the house.

It is not a Comcast service. It is a Verizon offering. Also not available in all areas of the country and Verizon is not adding any new service areas on this anymore.

More information here

http://www.verizonfios.com/

New Visitor
knownbyjesus2

i also agree thanks for helping me. THIS HAS BOTHERED ME FOR MONTHS AND MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HATED IT BUT NOW IT'S SOLVED THANK YOU SO MUCH!

New Visitor
knownbyjesus2

okay so this is how it worked for me. press cable and then power which should turn the cable box off but not the tv. then without doing anything else press the menu button then the menu screen will pop up on the tv and there will be an option that says closed caption move it over so it says on and poof! your problem is solved! exit and contiue watching and reading in heaven!

New Visitor
FLpos

The little hd Comcast box. On ur Comcast remote, set to cable, hit the guide button. Go to second option called main menu. Go to setup, it should be the last option in the left hand side. Go to closed captioning setup, should be the first option on the right hand side. You can not only turn on/off the CC but add /remove the black box behind the writing.
New Visitor
jrlilley

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have no cable box just a Comcast DVR

New Visitor
jrlilley

I agree with your statement that the CC button the TV SHOULD turn it on, but it doesn't.

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

A Comcast DVR is a cable box (with DVR capabilities).  You should be able to turn on/off CC using one of the methods described in a couple of replies above.

New Visitor
jrlilley

That woked very well.  If the DVR isn't told to pay attention to the closed captioning it won't pass it on to the TV.  Thanks to al.

New Visitor

It is ridiculous to require turning off the Motorola DVR to turn CC on and off. If I am watching a program and have 20 minutes of recall accumulated, I will lose that recorded "rewind" if I turn off the DVR. My wife likes the CC off, but I need it when I have difficulty hearing. So I often decide to ignore the voice recognition just so I can see the rest of the program. It is a penalty for those with a hearing disability, and I think that should be addressed by the executives at Comcast.

I just installed two mini u-DTA (the descrambling device for local scrambled signals--without On-demand, premium channels, programming info). I was delighted to find that I could press the Xfinity button and easily adjust audio settings and CC! I really have no use for Xfinity. The movies are too expensive compared to Redbox or Amazon, and I have never gotten a satisfactory mobil movie/tv viewing. If Comcast can adjust CC with the u-DTA, why can't they do the Motorola DVR!
New Visitor
DMVer

Re my previous posts on Closed Captioning:  

Well,  Comcast has taked a major step forward as I discovered recently that I can access the CC  from the setup menu with the Comcast remote.  It is still a bit more awkward than the Verizon FIOS implementation which has a dedicated button on the remote (no need to navigate the menu) to switch on/off the CC from Verizon's identical Motorola Box.  So thanks Comcast because I no longer have to follow the previous ridiculous steps to activate CC.  

Still, I hope Comcast will go further and make CC activatable from a button on the remote- - and until they can reconfigure their own remote (using maybe some of their currently unused PIP buttons), maybe Comcast can push through the software to allo us to activate CC by the button on the current Verizon remote.  In doing so, the button should activate an on/off toggle of the CC and not a cycling through of all the CC choices as done by Verizon.