Regular Visitor
Accepted Solution

digital cable/analog tuner

Right now I have Expanded Basic cable and thinking of getting the DVR for my main TV. I have two other  analog TVs; one is connected to a VCR, the other to a VCR/DVD combo, both with analog tuners. I really don't want to get a box for both TVs.  What would happen with a digital cable in an analog tuner?  Would I have to get a digital to analog converter? thanks
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: digital cable/analog tuner

The fact that you get a DVR would not affect your other TV setups.  You would still have access to the analog channels on them. 

If and when Comcast starts transitioning expanded basic from analog to digital in your area that would result in your having to have DTAs to access the expanded basic channels with the other TVs, regardless of whether you also have a DVR.

New Visitor

If I have a digital TV, must I also have a DVT (or whatever the digital gear from Comcast is called)?   My desire would be to connect the cable to the digital tv without any additional gear.

Please advise,

M

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

If your TV has a digital QAM tuner then you can use it to tune unencrypted (primarily local) channels.  Comcast may move these to different channels periodically and you may have difficulty maintaining them.