Contributor
dishlookinggood

digital cable box has to be rebooted every time TV is turned on or no program guide

I need to know how to change out my digital cable box for another one.  I have E mailed repeatedly, done the live chat repeatedly and called repeatedly, and no one seems to have the faculties to understand my problem.  The person I spoke to on the phone this morning, again, simply kept telling me to turn off the TV and cable box with the remote, then back on, back off, etc, etc, etc, etc.  I had already told her that I have had to call twice to have the box reinitialized because of loss of service.  It does not work with my DVD recorder, and I had already told her that every single time I turn on my TV, I have to reboot the cable box, or I have no program guide, and this morning when I rebooted, there was no picture, and I got a gray box that said that there was a faulty component in the box.  I rebooted 3 more times, and I finally got a picture again--for the time being--no telling how long it will last until I lose the picture permanently.  She kept telling me that the box was working properly.  If this is properly, I would hate to see how the box acts when it is not working properly!!  How do I go about getting a new box--one that actually DOES work properly? 

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: digital cable box has to be rebooted every time TV is turned on or no program gui

[ Edited ]
Call 1-800-COMCAST and ask them to send out a tech with a replacement box, or take the box and remote in for replacement. You need to expand a bit on why the DVD recorder doesn't work.
Contributor
dishlookinggood

Re: digital cable box has to be rebooted every time TV is turned on or no program gui

As far as the DVD recorder not working, when it is hooked up I can only view a DVD with the DVD recorder turned on. When it is turned off, there is just a black screen.  I know it was hooked up proprely, as I have checked, rechecked, recheked, and also have asked friends, who tell me they also have the same problem--they can no longer use their DVD recorders with this digital box. 

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

"when it is hooked up I can only view a DVD with the DVD recorder turned on"

??

Perhaps you meant to say something else.

How is your equipment connected?

Contributor
dishlookinggood

No, that is what I meant to say.  It is hooked up according to the simple directions that came with the box.  Cable connection directly into the digital box.  Composite connections--red/yellow/white--from box into DVD, out of DVD to back of TV.  With DVD recorder on, all I can view is DVD, cannot chage to cable TV no matter what--pressing tv/vcr button, etc.  When DVD recorder is turned off, all I get is a black TV screen.  Any ideas? 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have a Comcast location near you just take the box back and they will give you a new one.  If no location near you, you will need to schedule a tech to come out with a new one.  Much easier to just go to the nearest outlet and just exchange.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

do you have the dvd recorder and tv on channel 3

Contributor
dishlookinggood

AV1--the video channel. 

Contributor
dishlookinggood

Channel 3 is ABC in this area.  I have everything set on AV1, the video input channel.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

dishlookinggood wrote: ... With DVD recorder on, all I can view is DVD, cannot chage to cable TV no matter what--pressing tv/vcr button, etc.  When DVD recorder is turned off, all I get is a black TV screen.  Any ideas? 

Could you post the brand and model of the DVD recorder and the cable box?

Contributor
dishlookinggood

Cable box is RNG110

DVD is Magnavox 10D6

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

dishlookinggood wrote: Cable box is RNG110  DVD is Magnavox 10D6

Thank you. You may still have a cable box problem, but I think you have a DVDR hookup problem that you might want to correct first.

My understanding is that you are using composite A/V cables to connect the cable box to the DVDR input, and to connect the DVDR output to the TV's AV1 input. My guess is that the DVDR A/V jacks are not active unless the unit is on, although I could not find a definitive statement to this effect in the manual (http://www.funai-corp.com/6pdf/om/MWR10D6.pdf). That would produce the "black screen when off" condition you have described. But when the unit is on, you should be able to view the output of the cable box by selecting the correct input on the DVDR remote. Enter "channel" 001 for the back panel A/V input, or 002 for the front panel A/V input. You must enter all three digits on the DVDR remote (see manual page 35).

For a standard def set the recommended hookup, shown on the front page of the manual, uses coax cables between the cable box output and the DVDR input, and between the DVDR output and the TV's RF input, along with A/V cables from the DVDR A/V outputs to the TV's AV1 input. Again, although the manual does not specifically say so, I believe that the signal coming from the cable box will pass through the DVDR coax connectors even when the DVDR is turned off. To record from the cable box the DVDR should be set to channel 3. When hooked up this way the TV should be set to channel 3 to watch cable, and to AV1 to watch a DVD.

I'm not sure if this hookup will work with an HD TV. If definitely won't work if your RNG110 does not have a coax output connector (there are two types of RNG110, one with, one without). If you don't have a coax out connector or if the coax hookup does not pass HD to your TV set, then keep the same hookup you have to/from the DVDR, and add an HDMI or component cables from the cable box to the TV set. You'll have to switch between AV1 to watch DVDs, and the second (HDMI or component) input to watch cable TV.

If you can't use one of the hookups above please reply with your TV model and whether the RNG110 has a coax output connection, and we'll take it from there.

Please let me know if I have understood you correctly, if what I've written makes any sense, and most importantly, if it works! Good luck to you.

Contributor
dishlookinggood

Thanks for trying to help, but again this morning,I had no picture, only a gray text box that said a component of the cable box was bad.  After rebooting the box 4 times, I got a picture--though no program guide.  I again called Xfinity, and after the daft person at the other end told me to turn off/on my TV 3 times with the remote, all 3 times having a picture when I did, she told me the "box was obviously working properly," which it quite obviously is NOT!  Since I cannot get hold of anyone with a brain at the company, I am no longer going to mess with this.  I am fed up with Comcast/Xfinity and their lack of service for a premium price.  I have already called Dish and will be switching both TV and Internet to them soon. Thanks again for trying to help.