New Visitor
asharpvol

hook up dvd to dvr?

Can I hoop up my dvd directly to dvr.

also do some comcast supplied dvrs have 2 hdmi conections?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: hook up dvd to dvr?

The DVRs only have a single HDMI output.  There is no reason to connect the DVD player to the DVR.  Each of them shoulld be connected directly to the TV.

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

Or each of them could be connected to an AV reciever or HDMI switcher and then to the TV if it only has one HDMI input.

New Visitor
asharpvol

Thanks WarEagle, my problem is that I have mounted my TV on my brick fireplace and set the DVR inside the fireplace that is never used and sealed up. So running another cable out from thru the glass fireplace screen to the the TV will be difficult and unsitely. 

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I don't understand what that has to do with the DVD player.

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

War, what he means is he wants only one HDMI cable running from the tv into the fireplace instead of one HDMI cable going to the tv from the cable box and one HDMI cable running to the tv from the DVD player. What he needs to do is use an HDMI switcher.

New Visitor
asharpvol

Thanks Mike,

Yes, the extra cable is the issue. What is an HDMI switcher and where can I get one?

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

Some from Radioshack

Some from Bestbuy

Basically it's a device that has one HDMI output (to the tv) and a various number of HDMI inputs (DVD player, DVR, game system, and so forth) with a remote or button to cycle through the various inputs.