New Visitor
bigsteve19

ir extender for cable box

Want to put cable box behind flat screen TV in closet behind wall mount. What equipment do I require in order to "hide the cable box"?

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: ir extender for cable box

There are tons of various extenders available. Just a simple receiver near the TV, and an emitter near the box. It depends on how much money you want to spend, and if looks are important. Sometimes, the RF-based ones are cheaper than wired packages, but are much bigger and not as reliable.

New Visitor
pfrosini

Does this mean that the IR jack on the back of the HDTV cable box does not work?

New Visitor
pfrosini

Does this mean that the IR jack on the back of the HDTV cable box does not work?  Can you recommend specific hardware for the IR extender?

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

You may be able to get some help from you local electronics store (Radio Schack?)?

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

edpeters wrote:

You may be able to get some help from you local electronics store (Radio Schack?)?

Stay away from Radio Shack. They are just a cell-phone store now.

Recognized Contributor
tbonecopper

[ Edited ]

If you want to put the cable box in a cabinet, out of sight, you'll need something to receive the IR data/signal from the remote control. 

We did this in our master bedroom, as the tv is mounted on a hinge which swivels, but the cable box is in a cabinet. 

http://www.smarthome.com/8170S/Mini-Stick-On-Infrared-IR-Emitters-Bugs-Blasters/p.aspx was purchased, and mounted/stuck to the front of the tv, and susequently plugged into the IR plug on the back of the cable box. Works like a charm.

For more complex solutions. e.g. you have a Blu Ray, DVD, Cable Box, and other devices behind a cabinet, hidden, and you have a universal remote (like logitech harmony remote) and want 1 IR repeater, you will need something like this: http://www.smarthome.com/59502/Smarthome-Plasma-Compatible-IR-Receiver-Kit/p.aspx

A IR block, where each plug connects to one of your devices > and a single IR emitter mounted to your entertainment center, which receives signals from your remote and passes them on to the right devices (e.g. blu ray, dvd, vcr, cable box etc etc). You can hide the wiring for the IR block in your entertainment center, and just run one wire to the IR emitter on your entertainment center. There are cheaper solutions, solutions which are more expensive, and solutions with connections for more devices. All depends on waht you need. Smarthome.com and monoprice.com are good places to get good prices, and find what you need. 

New Visitor
pfrosini

That's great information and I really appreciate the details you shared with me. I'm looking at a Xantech IR solution that will handle 4 devices.

Recognized Contributor
tbonecopper

No problem. If you have any questions, feel free to private message me. I've done a few large scale installaitons with hidden IR stuff and automation. Not a pro, but fairly knowledagble on the topic. 

New Visitor
pfrosini

Maybe one more question: In using the Xantech remote IR receiver, do you think I can use a standard 3.5mm cable with the male/female stereo jacks instead of hardwiring the CAT5 cable? I need to span about 35 ft.

Recognized Contributor
Ronny_Cordova

Depending on the model of box you have you can use the IR extenders that come with DTA boxes by simplying plugging it into the IR jack in the back of the box.