New Visitor
merriconeag

lines of mis-colored pixels across lcd tv screen

Can anyone offer any suggestions how to remedy horizontal lines of miscolored pixels across my Samsung HDTV 55" screen when watching most every channel from my comcast digital cable box?

If watching DVDs, Blueray discs or streaming videos from Netflix these lines do not appear.  Most cable box channels will start out fine but after about 2 - 3 minutes after changing a channel, 3 lines of miscolored pixels, each about 1 1/2" wide appear across the screen, which is very annoying and will last until I change channels, which then reappear again after a short while.  My thoughts are that the strength of the cable box signal is weak, whereas the other peripherial equipment I have attached, produces a good strong signal. The cable box does not have an HDMI connection, so it maybe the four RCA jack type Comcast cables supplied are inferior. 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: lines of mis-colored pixels across lcd tv screen

What box do you have on that big HDTV screen.?  is it an HD box?  do you subscribe to HD?   if you only have just old rca plain cables on there I would definately upgrade that but that all depends on what box you have.

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

Sounds some-what like a hum bar. If the bar is purple or greenish in nature there are some boxes with certain tvs that will display this when hooked up compnent. HDMI hookup would fix this if it is indeed what i am guessing. Might need a box with HDMI output.

New Visitor
merriconeag

Sorry for the delays in replying - I was off on a bus. trip.

The Comcast cable box is a Scientific Alantic # 8300 HDC and we subscribe to HD expanded service.

I have the cable running from the wall jack thru a "Monster" surge protector before being connected to the cable box.  I have read that this set up may cause interference and will check out if running from the wall to cable box fixes my problem.  If it doesn't, I going to the local Comcast service center and see if they will allow me to swap the cable box I have for a new and possible upgrade one.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Do not ever route your coax through any AC surge protector strip coax ports.  It does affect the digital signals on part of the frequency & causes interference due to the close proximity to the AC power. 

It is a red flag for any tech when they come across a connection through a surge protector and will be disconnected if a tech comes out.