New Visitor
smilarider

new flat screen, do I need converter box

Just bought a new flat screen digital tv,  some of the channels received are different from my other tv, like 68 is not FX but something else?  Also many channels I get with the converter box are scrambled.  I thought all the new tvs are digital ready?  do I need a convert box with a new tv too?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: new flat screen, do I need converter box

If you want to receive encrypted channels (mostly anything beyond locals) you'll need a box.  Comcast will provide you with two free DTA boxes.

Visitor
Dusty78

and if you want to continue getting your local channels in HD, then you'll need yet another piece of equipment called an A/B switch. The DTA boxes Comcast provides can't handle HD signals.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

edited for error corrected by next poster sorry. 

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You  can use an a/b switch by splitting the cable coming in from the wall and feeding one input to the TV's digital tuner (for the HD) and the other one through the cable box and then to the TV.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

Im curious tho' if you by pass the box will you still get local channels in hd? Or do they block it?

I know many ext cable channels are garbled.

Especially after the cut off date of the change over, will they still let us have ota locals in hd without a box?

excellent diagram of how to split the cable :http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Service-and-Equipment/DTA-box-with-A-B-switch/td-p/896081

New Visitor
smilarider

...thanks for your replies, as I already have the 2 free DTA boxes in other rooms, does anyone know how much comcast charges to rent a 3rd one? Hate to give them MORE money a month, no such thing as free tv anymore....

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Call Comcast for all pricing...

New Visitor
smilarider

Was trying to get away from call comcast as its always a wait, doesn't seem to be an answer anywhere on this website though...

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

A 3rd DTA is $1.99 a month and is about the only standard price across all markets.

A full set top box varies by market from 7.95 or so to 9.25, so for some it might be better to pay the extra for a full box especially if you already have HD digital service on other outlets or on their digital package.

Remember, these DTA's were only intended for SD tube type analog cable ready sets to keep the subscribers existing channels.  They will not give a good user experience or picture quality on a new HDTV.

Contributor
jonesyg27

JayInAlg wrote:

Remember, these DTA's were only intended for SD tube type analog cable ready sets to keep the subscribers existing channels.  They will not give a good user experience or picture quality on a new HDTV.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why we need a digital to analog converter for our digital equipment, and why we can't get the same signal used by the DTA.

So, those of us with digital TVs with QAM tuners are now stuck with a DTA with a QAM tuner that will convert a digital signal to analog and send it to our digital TV, thus rendering our built-in QAM tuners useless? The only way to continue to get most cable channels and local HD channels (besides paying for another HD box for my bedroom TV) is the splitter/AB switch/5 extra cables solution? Basically, there is no such thing as a cable-ready TV anymore, and I need another remote, a cheesy DTA box, a spaghetti factory of cables, and a manual switch. I congratulate Comcast on this Machiavellan masterstroke of turning the TV manufacturing industry on its head.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Right, for a while some TV mfr's were making DCR TV's that had cable card slots in them to add a cable card and use the TV as intended, but they cost more, and didn't sell well, so the Mfr's stopped making them to save costs.

Sorry, it's not just Comcast, other MSO's are either going all digital with DTA's also, or switched video, where you have to have a full set top box that handles switched video to make room for more HD subscribers are screeming for.

Using a small full set top box like a RNG110 hidden behind the TV gives a good clean installation and HD on all available HD channels using a single HDMI cable.

dcr logo.JPG

New Visitor
lou1492

Amen to that brother! 

Great way for Comcast to force us into paying for additional HD boxes.