Visitor

no HDMI output from cable box

Just got a new TV and installed HDMI cables from the cable box.  I'm able to get high def signal through the component cables but not HDMI--TV says "no signal" on each of the HDMI input connectors I have tried.  I've open the menu on the cable box and there is no reference to HDMI output, just component output.

How do I get the cable box to send HD signal via HDMI, or how do I get a box that will?

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Re: no HDMI output from cable box

Tbill4 wrote:

Just got a new TV and installed HDMI cables from the cable box.  I'm able to get high def signal through the component cables but not HDMI--TV says "no signal" on each of the HDMI input connectors I have tried.  I've open the menu on the cable box and there is no reference to HDMI output, just component output.

How do I get the cable box to send HD signal via HDMI, or how do I get a box that will?

Wha is the cable box you have?  It is not unusual to find connections on equipment that Comcasts uses to have features/connections that they do not support.  You could go to the Comcast store and see what they have available (Comcast does not know how to use computers to check inventory on-line or over the phone).  Following may help:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/cable-box-user-manuals/

Visitor

It's a Motorola DCT6412 III.  I've tried going to the menu settings for the box and I see no way to switch or activate the HDMI output.  Only the YPbPr output is shown in the menu even though the HDMI cable is connected to the box and the TV.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

My guess is that the Comcast firmware does not support HDMI.  You can try getting it exchanged for a box that does support HDM (if they have one in stock), or simply continue to use the component cables for video..

Bronze Problem Solver

since Comcast's manuals for moto 6412 are for older model w/o hdmi port, here is a manual for phase III models.

http://www.refficient.com/assets/pdfs/Motorola_DCT6400_DCT6416_Series_User_Guide.pdf 

you can check if hdmi port is enabled by  looking at the "d11 - interface/port status" screens  in the diagnostics.      with the STB on,  press the power button & then the select button, and scroll down to d11.       use the "cursor"   button to scroll up/down & left/right.

check in the manual for more info about the hdmi vs YPbPr  settings, etc.

Visitor

I checked and the HDMI port on the cable box is Enabled but not Active.  Not sure what else to try other than having someone check the TV.  Suggestions?

New Visitor
breedingfamily

You should call comcast or use the online chat, because it sounds like the cable box wasn't setup right in their billing system. Last time I heard of that happening was because the stb wasn't told it had HDTV and the HDMI turns itself off when thats the case. Component is analog and doesn't have that ability
Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

is the tv 720  or 1080, (prolly doesn't matter),  ...

do you have anythng else with hdmi output that you can plug into the tv to make sure the tv hdmi is working?   or other tv with hdmi input to test STB, a comcast neighbor house?   

Also  try a different hdmi cables?

you mentioned the stb Menu makes no ref to hdmi ..

the user settings should ref hdmi at least this - 

Tv Type                         16:9

HDMI/YpbPr Output     1080i

4/3 override                 480i

* Edit:   oic, apparently it will show  -  YpbPr Output     1080i

untill hdmi is connected to tv and active, then it will show -

HDMI/YpbPr Output     1080i      in the Menu

Visitor

Thanks to everyone who read and offered suggestions.  After spending over an hour in an online chat with a Comcast rep earlier today with no change in the situation, I took the old cable box to Comcast and exchanged it for another one.  The TV now works great connected to the new box with the HDMI cable.  Clearly, there was a problem with the old box.