Contributor
numetro

non-HD channel aspect-ratio is INCORRECT, HD channels are in correct proportions

[ Edited ]

Hello Comcasters,

Is there a way to change the proportions (the aspect-ratio)... (NOT the resolution) of the NON-HD channels ONLY so I can leave the HD channels the way that they appear now?

With Comcast HD cable service, all of the non-HD channels appear fat and out of proportion... the aspect-ratio is incorrect, but the HD channels are in the correct proportions... if I change the aspect-ratio on the TV or on the HD cable box it will change the proportions for all of the channels, right?

Isn't there a way for all of the channels to be proportioned correctly?

Comcast representatives cannot answer this question or they are not prepared for it... Comcast is in apparent denial about the issue.

The TV manufacturer confirms that there is no way within their TV settings to only change the aspect-ratio for specific channels... all TV aspect ratio-settings are global.

Is everyone just accepting or not noticing this issue?

Can someone tell me, "NO, that is the way that it is and there is no solution."... or "YES, here is a way to fix this problem."

I appreciate it if anyone answers, if there are no other variations on the answer... it can either be fixed or not.

Thanks much!

numetro

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: non-HD channel aspect-ratio is INCORRECT, HD channels are in the correct proporti

Most TV's should handle HD and SD formats with different settings.

Check your cable box's settings.

Turn the box off

hit MENU

Check the 4:3 OVERRIDE settings. It should be 480i. If it's OFF or STRETCH, then it outputs at the specified HD resolution.

Contributor
numetro

Re: non-HD channel aspect-ratio is INCORRECT, HD channels are in correct proporti

[ Edited ]

Hi Andy,

In your first sentence you indicate that this is a TV setting... but after that you are referring to cable box settings.

If the cable box setting that you are referring to is a global setting, then this will change all of the aspect-ratio settings for all channels, and that is not what I need to do.

If I can politely restate... I was looking for a definite answer, not a theory, on this relatively clearly stated question.

Thanks,

numetro

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: non-HD channel aspect-ratio is INCORRECT, HD channels are in correct proporti

The 4:3 Override setting for the cable box only changes the display for the SD channels.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Both are correct. If you configure the box to output 480i for SD (4:3 override), and 720p or 1080i for HD (YPbPr), then most TV's will treat those two video formats differently. Not only the aspect ratio, but sometimes the picture settings (brightness, color, tint, etc...) can also be set differently. What's nice is that I sometimes use ZOOM to watch letterboxed SD channel/recording (when no HD is available) and another HD channel/recording at the same time. When I stop/start the recording, or SWAP between tuners, the TV will keep the correct mode for each format.

If you 4:3 override to OFF, then it will output 4:3 format at HD resolution (the quality may not be as good as letting your TV upconvert on it's own, though.) If you set it to STRETCH, then it will stretch all SD and output at HD resolution.

Contributor
numetro

Sorry guys... you're both wrong for this HD cable box model anyway... “Xfinity RNG110”.

Today I went in to the very first level of this HD cable box menu and I could not find anything called “4:3 Override” but I found a selection called “Auto Pillar Box” and turning on that feature automatically makes all the non-HD channels (SD channels) display in their correct aspect-ratio, with pillar boxes on the sides of the picture, while leaving the HD channels alone so they still display correctly.

The 4th Comcast Web Customer service person at the end of a long chain of 9 emails exchanged last night had the same erroneous advice, but that person knew the model of the HD cable box.

Two Comcast live chat agents didn't know this simple instruction either... actually the cable box installer that put this box in should have set this setting so the SD channels were in the correct aspect-ratio... or he should have at least left us an instruction manual for the box, but he didn't.

I'll have to grant you all a pass on this one since you didn't know the model of my HD cable box.

Thanks anyway,

numetro

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I guess we should have asked what box you have first!:smileyhappy:

The settings I mentioned are mainly for Motorola boxes, which are the most common Comcast ones. The RNG's are a bit tricky as some are Motorola-compatible, and others are SA/Cisco compatible. I'm not certain if even the Motorola-compatible ones use the same style firmware menus or not. Would you know if you are in a Motorola or SA/Cisco area?

Contributor
numetro

[ Edited ]

Sorry Andy,

I have no idea... it's a little flat black box with multi-colored lights that says Xfinity on the front and the RNG110 model number.

All I know is that I told Comcast what box I have and I spent quite a bit of effort and time trying to get this simple setting information out of them and none of them could tell me... they all had the wrong information or they were plugging in form letters to email back to me that didn't apply to my question... and the live chat people were just as hopeless.

It's even worse on the phone with Comcast.  The box should have been set up correctly to begin with by the installer, or he should have left us an instruction manual... it all seemed so simple once I found the "Auto Pillarbox" setting and just tried it myself since there was no setting by the name that the Comcast email people gave me... and that mis-information was on the 5th email from them after going round and round with 4 different people... the same person never answers one's email twice.

Anyway, thanks for the try... I know this stuff is different on every box, which makes it even more confusing... but one might think that the Comcast installers would know this stuff... our installer told me he thought this was a setting within the TV, but that setting is a global setting and would have messed up the HD channel aspect ratio.

On to more important problems.

numetro

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I constantly see HD boxes not setup properly that were installed by a Comcast installer or Contractor, including using a wrong connection type.

I have delt with many RNG110's including the two in my home, and the user menu is different including the pillarbox setting from the Moto's.  These RNG110's are being deployed in my market area in a large way.

For anyone asking questions, it always helps to post the model of the set top box and how it is connected to the TV.

Contributor
numetro

Hi Jay,

Are you in Algeria or are you in Algebra?... maybe in Algorithms?... or Application-Level Gateways?

Talking to Comcast Customer Service via any medium is like talking to an algorithm.

The cable installer that did our HD cable box installation was in a Comcast truck so I don't think he was just a contractor... he was nice but lacked this one bit of knowledge or instruction.

Comcast Customer Service should know the differences with various cable box instructions... most people wouldn't have even been able to find out and filter the information that I was forced to decipher in order to figure out the answer to this simple question... this thing should be set with "Auto Pillarbox" turned-on in it's default settings.

Thanks,

numetro

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

FYI

Everyone that has answered your question is a customer like yourself. It isn't well documented for new people coming into the forums but it is primarily a Customer to Customer help forum. The guys that gave you the answers are volunteering their time to assist fellow customers get their systems up and running.

If a username is in red then that person is a Comcast employee.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Jay is in Algonquin, IL.

Contributor
numetro

Re: non-HD channel aspect-ratio is INCORRECT, HD channels are in correct proportions

I guess since nobody's name is in red, I haven't insulted anyone... or have I?

I did send some "feedback" to Comcast about their debacle with this issue... instruction manuals are the key... though I'm not even sure if the correct manual would have included this obvious information that was such a secret to the world.

I think we are all just complex sets of algorithms waiting to be scrambled by the world's problems.

Whew!... pretty intense for a Comcast forum.

numetro