New Visitor
mikemiki

"DVR Service Unavailable"

On both of my DVR boxes I'm getting a "DVR service unavailable" message, comcast tech support wasn't able to offer any solutions except for a technician to come out in three days. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Contributor

Re: "DVR Service Unavailable"

Was a system-wide occurrence last night for several hours.  15 or so states.  Most were restored by unplugging the cable box power for about ten minutes and then reapplying power.  Wait for a full boot-up....4-5 minutes.

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

I live in Florida and was part of that outage. That happened on wednesday night - I re-booted my DVR and guide did not fully populate and now I'm on the 3rd re-boot waiting to see if the guide fully downloads.

If iit doesn't I don't know what to do, becuause I have tried to contact the administrators on this board and on twitter and no one has deemed me important enough to try to help me.

Hope you have better luck than I have.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Just be aware that, for iGuide, it can take 24-48 hours for it to fully repopulate. You should get near-term (6-8 hours) within an hour or so. You can thank the explosion of channels and the slow, overloaded, OOB channel for the long time.

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

andyross,

Up until recently my whole guide (13 days) would take approximately 12-15 hours to get the full 13 day guide. and comcast has not added any additional channels in my area.

I re-booted for the 3rd time this morning because it was going on 72 hours and the guide only loaded 6 of the 13 days.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

The time to load can vary. The full data is sent, slowly, only about twice a day now, as it can take 8-12 hours to send. Further, it's just a multi-cast setup where the box simply listens and picks up the data as it goes by. It does not 'call in' and get the data. If the box gets busy or the data is bad, it just has to wait until it comes around again.

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

andyross,

My guide finally fully loaded after 18 hours. So it took me three days and three re-boots for the guide to load.

New Visitor
ejustice22

I have been getting the same message for the past two days. I did contact comcast and tried the whole turn off and reset. Nothing has happened. Everything else works fine, just not the DVR. I don't have time to wait for someone to come out as this isn't the first time Comcast has left me waiting for someone to show up and fix my cable boxes. When i try to go to DVR set up the whole box just shuts off and reboots.

Is there any way to fix this issue and NOT lose any of my shows that are saved? or having to take off of work to wait on a tech?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

Try re-booting your box and the guide should start downloading and should not have lost the shows that were recorded on the DVR. All my shows that were recorded were still on there. Good luck.

New Visitor
mikemiki

Thanks for your reply, I tried that and no luck :smileysad:

New Visitor
mikemiki

yeah whole turn off and reset didn't do anything except made more errors that took an extra 40 minutes for them to fix. I'm missing all of my stuff b/c no one can come out until Monday night. If you find anything that works please pass it along!! 

Good luck and thanks!

New Visitor
mikemiki

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. They had me try the whole reboot and wait a few times, it didn't work. still no DVR service today...

New Visitor
ejustice22

Thank you for your response, i too am still not getting any service. I hope all can be worked out soon cause i am missing shows as well.

Thanks again

Contributor

I had the same problem after swapping out a malfunctioning DVR. Turns out that while the box was authorized, it was not specfically authorized for DVR service.  i worked for several hours with an online support tech who could not figure the problem out. I brought it back to the service center and they were able to find the problem in just a few minutes.

I have never had much luck getting problems resolved by the online or telephone support service.