Regular Visitor

recording On Demand movie to DVR

Why can't I do this? when I had Dish I could, then we could watch the show again if we liked it.
Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

Re: recording On Demand movie to DVR

On Demand is streamed to you not using a recordable channel.  When you record a channel like 20, or even the indemand ppv movies which is 501 in my area those are a specified channel that the box can read and record if I'm not mistaken.  Because the on demand service streams across the ip your box gets it's not on a specific channel and that's why I don't believe it can be recorded.  That's the best guess I could give you with what I know of how those work
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

[ Edited ]

jjv124 wrote:
On Demand is streamed to you not using a recordable channel.  When you record a channel like 20, or even the indemand ppv movies which is 501 in my area those are a specified channel that the box can read and record if I'm not mistaken.  Because the on demand service streams across the ip your box gets it's not on a specific channel and that's why I don't believe it can be recorded.  That's the best guess I could give you with what I know of how those work

FALSE. OnDemand is NOT streamed over IP. It is a channel that is dynamically allocated. Most systems probably have 3-4 frequencies set up for OnDemand, and each user is assigned an open subchannel on one of them. They used to be ClearQAM, and you could watch them with a regular TV that had a digital tuner. Now, most areas encrypt them.

The reason you can't record is that OnDemand is 'add-on' software that hooks into iGuide. I believe there are 2 or 3 different OnDemand systems around, which require slightly different back-end software, although they look the same to the end user. By me, I think it's SEACVOD.

Finally, the media companies wish DVR's were illegal and would go away. They are already trying to stop one cable company from creating 'remote' DVR's (where the DVR functions are hosted at the office instead of your box.) They lost the first lawsuit, but more are on the way.

Message Edited by andyross on 11-28-2009 07:47 AM
Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

I stand corrected. Thank you Andy for the info