New Visitor
lilliancarter

remote not working cable box

I just picked up a new remote control for Comcast yesterday. I was able to program the remote for the TV after several trys but the cable is not working. The cable light comes on but nothing else. I am able to adjust the volume but no other buttons work. The instructions claim that the remote is preprogrammed. I have a Sharp Tv and Scientific Atlantic converter box.

I also unplugged the dta box and let it reset and still no results

thanks

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: remote not working cable box

New Visitor
lilliancarter

thanks but i went through those questions with no help.

thanks anyway

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

What color is the new remote they gave you? It may be possible they gave you the wrong remote for the type of cable box you have.

Been known to happen.

Regular Contributor
TimmahDude

Cisco and Motorola boxes use a dark grey remote.

SA boxes use a light silver remote. 

You may have received the wrong remote. There are 2 options. Local office will swap it out for you, or you can call 1-800-266-2278 and have the correct (SA) remote shipped to you. Generally there would be no charge for such but you may have to wait on UPS... 3-5 days. 

Best of luck

New Visitor
pippa1980

[ Edited ]

I googled and I found this. Worked like a charm. ETA: the website: http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/whichremote/thread.cgi?398

Try assigning device code 1376 to the CBL device key:
1. Press CBL key
2. Press and hold SETUP until CBL blinks twice
3. Type 1376

It should blink twice. If it blinks long once, it could be one of two problems. One could be that CBL device is locked. To unlock it:

1. Press CBL key
2. Press and hold SETUP unit CBL binks twice
3. Type 982

If it blinks four times, now it's unlocked and you can do the above step to set to it to 1376. If it blinks twice, that means it was unlocked and now is locked, and you need to do the step above again to unlock it again. It also means that 1376 code is not present for some reason (possibly it was completely reset).

You could use device code CBL/0476, which is built in, but it will not have the DVR commands and you would have to use advanced codes to program that in manually. I would just get a new one (that's has the correct code), but if you want to program them in instead of bothering to go back to the cable company, I can give you the list of codes for the missing commands and how to program them in.

New Visitor
JettaGirl

The following worked like a charm for a dark gray remote with red Ok button that was not working for the black digital Cisco box.

Unlock the cable setup codes:
1) Press Setup until 2 blinks
2) Enter 982
The remote should blink 4 times. If it blinks twice, repeat steps 1 and 2.

Assign 01982 to the Cable button:
1) Press Setup until 2 blinks
2) Enter 01982 The remote should blink twice.

You still have to program it to work with your TV if that hasn't been done.
New Visitor
pippa1980

I'm glad and hope it helps. Sometimes I have to enter my code again, but it's better than nothing! :smileyblush:

Contributor

I am having the exact same problem. I tried everything listed here and still nothing. The remote works just fine for the tv but does absolutely nothing for the cable box. So now I am stuck manually changing channels, which sucks for me. I am disabled and can't be constantly getting up to change channels.

New Visitor
medstar

I tried the solution that Jettagirl described--the 982 code made the cable button blink four times and the 01982 code made the cable button blink two times.  But I was still unable to power off or on the TV or the cable box.  I guess I'll have to call for a technician to come out and figure out the problem.

New Visitor
VFark

This worked for me on the dark grey remote with the red OK button.
New Visitor
j_boomer

I looked up why a new remote will not work on my cable box and found your replies. I tried all your codes but nothing is working is there anything else I can try?
Visitor

How to program comcast dark gray remote with red OK/SELECT button to Scientific Atlanta 4250 box:

Press Cable button

Hold down SETUP until CABLE blinks twice

enter 982

cable button should blink 4 times

press cable

hold down SETUP until CABLE blinks twice

enter 01877

Cable should blink twice

hit"power"

Cable box should turn off.

When box turns off, you're good to go.

New Visitor
Erinb22003

Resetting the cable box with the "982" code worked for me!! THANK YOU!

New Visitor
lynnkern

I too had the problem where my Comcast remote didn't work. I tried all the codes, put new cables on, and even moved box to a different location. I finally fixed it by putting a post-it note paper in front of the ir window on the box and it works fine now. I found a forum reply about ir bleed and that is what they said to do.

New Visitor
lynnkern

The post-its are still working, but tracked down the sourse of the problem. It is being caused by some recently installed dimable CFL bulbs I put in an overhead light in the same room. Checked it several times. With light on, remote doesn't work and with light off remote works fine.

New Visitor
trisaratopss

IR bleed - I tried 3 remotes, 2 different motorola HD DVR cable boxes, and 4 calls to Comcast before finding this post about the IR bleed.  I have a Sharp LCD TV and putting the post-it note over the IR port on the cable box fixes the problem for me.

New Visitor
Jim1971a

That 01982 code worked perfectly. I spent 30 min with comcast technical support chat with no success. I read your post and a minute later my remote was working. Thanks again
Visitor

Glad to be of assistance!  I was lucky to get a really knowledgeable Comcast rep when  I called about that problem. 

New Visitor
hottmommy

this worked! thank god after being frustrated for hours .....awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Visitor
medstar

Jettagirl, that is exactly what I did.  I pressed Cable then Setup till I got the 2 blinks.  Then, I entered 01982 and all of a sudden, I was able to use my new cable remote.  I was all ready to call a technician to come over until I read your message.  I might even write in your name for president!!! Thank you so much!!!