New Visitor
Lauraec
Accepted Solution

stuck on EAS

This morning, before leaving for work, I noticed the cable box read EAS. When I came home this evening, the message was still there. I turned on everything - blank screen. Turned it off, turned it on, saw a flash of a channel...then blank screen again. After doing some investigations online, I discovered it is from testing of the emergency broadcast system. I'm glad they're testing, but how do I now get the TV to unfreeze? Thanks in advance...

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: stuck on EAS

Try unplugging the cable box for a minute and plugging it back in.

New Visitor
Lauraec

Simple yet brilliant. Thank you!! 

New Visitor
sarahmeehan

Is this the only solution??  It seems drastic.  Is there anything that can be done to get the EAS messages to "unlock" on their own?

New Visitor
johnlbradford

Good advise thanks

New Visitor
johnlbradford

not pleased with comcast what to do?

New Visitor

I'm glad I found this message board.  The tech support person at Comcast just said it would be reset within 24 hours.  Then she told me to leave my TV and cable box on for 30 minutes and it would probably be reset.

New Visitor
brunell731

I was watching tv and EAS appeared on the cable box and writing on the tv. It started to do all sorts of things afte a little while on the tv and and now I am looking at a black screen. I also have no phone right now but I have internet. I unplugged the cable box twice then tried the modem box and the cable box together. Nothing is working.

New Visitor
SJ073

We ran into the same error today.  The channel has been high jacked to a Spanish station and the remote will not control the dvr\receiver.  We have unplugged it and let it recycle.  Still getting highjacked and box frozen with EAS message on the screen. 

Rebooting does not resolve the issue.

Contributor

I called in for tech issues and hit the recording saying I am in an area with a known outage. It won't let me talk to anyone until they fix their outage. My tivo box with a cable card works fine; it's the d*mn comcast box tv that is stuck on the spanish channel, which how would that be helpful to me in a real emergency, since I don't speak Spanish?? Anyway, the recording says my outage should be cleared by 3 pm. but I think it stinks that I can't talk to anyone until after they think it's already fixed.

New Visitor
Terryden

I've got the same problem I can't get EAS off and it stuck on Spanish
New Visitor
Fitali

Me too! What do we do?
New Visitor
tomballvol

Same thing just happened to me.  I rebooted and cable worked for about five minutes then it flipped back to eas.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have powered off, unplugged, recycled, rebooted...and still this EAS is on the box and on the screen it says EAS Detail Screen, now the spanish channel....AND NOW NO SOUND?!

New Visitor
EASHater

I hate comcast service dont you?

New Visitor
cwrealtor

same thing here.  Guess we have to just wait it out??

New Visitor
EASHater

We could all switch to DirecTV or DISH!

Contributor

I unplugged the DVR and it rebooted and seems to be OK? Got off EAS and the spanish channel and seems to be working. Are you in Houston?

New Visitor
EASHater

We could all switch to DIRECTV or DISH:smileydevil:

New Visitor
bbqkng

same here what is up with all of this? though my t.v.s that are not on dvr all work go figure

New Visitor
pisspoorcable

18 hours of no service earlier this month now stuck on a spanish language program - no wait the screen just went black - and cannot even speak to a service rep - just get a recording so denied servce again basically. Unplugging cable box - nothing works. Think about it, if electric companies or any other service company provided this kind of lousy service at these prices we would be in a third world country. Comcast: home of third world service at world class prices. Where is that DirectTV advertisement I know it is around here somewhere.

New Visitor
shel56

My box is stuck on EAS. I have tried unplugging it. still get cable for about 2 minutes and back to EAS. Then flips to spanish station and NOW NO SOUND. TRIED TO CALL COMCAST AND NUMBER IS BUSY..... this time I tried to reset again and now just a black screen

New Visitor
ronni18

They really should explain this with an e-mail or somethig!!

New Visitor
rabhappy

One of mine is 'stuck' with the EA5 message and is on Ch13.  The other is working fine and there's an outage reported in my area. Curiouser and curiouser.  Yes, Ronni18, I agree they should let us know something!

Contributor

NOW IT IS STUCK ON ON APDL...WTH!

New Visitor
cwrealtor

Has anyone here ever had DirectTV or Dish??  I have also heard that Netflix combined with some kind of HD receiver gets most of the channels you get with Comcast.  Does anyone know about that??  My Comcast triple bundle is breaking the bank!!

Contributor

That's the kind of service when you have a "virtual" monopoly.

I wonder how long it will take Gov (state or feds) to "deregulate" the cable industry?

Deregulation means they split the company up in to sections THEN each section gets to charge you more than the whole did before AND the sections get to point to the other when your bill goes up.

New Visitor
ssticker35

We're dealing with the exact same thing. For those of us home on (post-open) bed rest, the lack of cable is infuriating. We pay way too much money for this lousy level of service.

New Visitor
chellede

[ Edited ]

I was also stuck on the spanish station,  then unplugged and changed it to channel 11.   Now it's back on EAS.    Any other suggestions? 

Thanks !!!

New Visitor
rabhappy

Both DVR boxes have now begun to reboot, though one was working fine (non HD tv) and the other was stuck with the EAS message. Hope it works and that we'll all have working DVR/TV's soon!

New Visitor
pisspoorcable

Lose one's electric service and the billing stops because no electricity is used. Wonderful thing about Comcast is they merrily keep on billing you just like you were using the service. And exactly how many people think Comcast could not easily automatically credit for service down time without we common folk having to call or email and plead or demand some offsetting credit? These guys and civil servants in government have a lot in common when it comes to caring.

New Visitor
Verdeuno

Glad I got my chromecast yesterday I may be watching things a day late but I see away around cable  and hopefully won't be a dollarer short.

New Visitor
greyfox72

My EAS message also shows on the DVR Box, and now they say it will be up to 11PM before problems in my area is fixedI have no problems with my other TV's that are not on DVR BoxesI also hate it that I can not talk to a human due to TV problems in my area.  Just got a message on TV Screen saying they are loading applications, On Demand, Guide and others, and that we will soon be watching our favorite shows.....hope so

Official Employee
ComcastTeds