Contributor

the analog to digital conversion

will i need to add converter box to the tv's in my home that do not have comcast digital box hookup.

all are hooked to comcast cable

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: the analog to digital conversion

Local channels should still be available.  The FCC-subsidized converter box is only for over-the-air broadcasts.  Comcast may decide to give you a small converter for the cable signals, or they may still provide the analogs over the cable.
Visitor

The key point in going from analog to digital Comcast box, especially with multiple TVs/projectors running off the same Comcast box - may well boil down to what signal outlets are on the box. The Comcast web page is not exactly definitive, it just shows a photograph of the front end of the box. This indicates an HDMI jack (digital A/V) and what looks (!) like a regular NTSC Video plus two stereo audio RCA jacks. It would be nice to see a specification listing of the available outlets. Perhaps there are YPbPr component and NTSC S-Video jacks round the back of the box; perhaps there are coax and S/PDIF digital audio outlets at the back of box. I did phone up Comcast, but the operator excused herself from providing this sort of detail. Come on Cmcast! --G
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Here are some photos of the connectors on various Motorola boxes.
Service Expert
Moms_hooked

[ Edited ]

For anyone that might do a search and find this post (since David hadn't returned)...this page on Comcast:FAQs should answer David's question.  I just had a comcast tech install two free DTV's to our two TV's that are not on a digital/DVR box and the adapters are free.  There is a one time fee for a tech to do it...but in my case it was worth it because he had to replace the units...and the remotes.  You can do it yourself after ordering them from Comcast...just follow the link in the upper right corner of that page to the Comcast Digital Adapter GuideThe phone number for activation is on step 5 on the Guide.  Welcome to the forums!

Moms...

Message Edited by Moms_hooked on 02-26-2009 04:36 PM