Visitor
samuelbutin
Accepted Solution

using my own cable box?

i just wanna know i'm thinking about getting a 2nd room installed(by myself!) I just wanna know if i can use a digital cable box that i might buy from amazon.com, or do i have to lease a cable box from u guys?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: using my own cable box?

Cable boxes except for retail Tivo's are not sold in the US.  There are no other boxes available that Comcast or any other cable company will provision.  All boxes except for Tivo's are leased only by the cable co.

You are welcome  to purchase a Tivo and then add a Comcast supplied cable card at an additional monthly fee.  There are also optiions for adding a cable card pc tuner in a Windows Media Center pc to use for watching and recording Comcast cable TV.

You will be sadly disappointed if you do purchase a cable box, and then find out you can't use it.

New Visitor
mj1985

can you buy outright a comcast cable box?

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

No.  Month to month rental only...

Contributor
cableuser12345

[ Edited ]

I've been looking everywhere but the only place i've found to buy a legitamite replacement cable box is from this company: 

I'm not sure where they get there boxes from but if I had to guess they buy a lot of them and fix them considering there all refurbed on there site.  Otherwise you could go to Best Buy in canada and buy a new one in there store for 500 bucks lol, have no idea why comcast doesn't sell boxes like canada cable companies do.  Oh well, at least theres an alternative to renting now..  If anyone knows of any other sites to buy boxes post a link!

EDIT: REMOVED LINK. Locking post.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Since most of the cable boxes in the U.S. are apparently already owned by cable companies I would take a guess that they buy them from eBay or from contractors/techs that sell boxes that they have taken from a customers home for one reason or another. Personal opinion only. But search the forums to see how many times people post here to mention a tech or contractor picked up their equipment and then they get charged for un-returned equipment.

Also if a person bought a box that came from say Charter and tried to activate it on Comcast it won't get activated.

Canadian boxes won't work on U.S. systems. Agreed it would be nice to purchase my own boxes and get cards for them. Maybe someday it won't be such a hassle.

Contributor
cableuser12345

[ Edited ]

[quote]Also if a person bought a box that came from say Charter and tried to activate it on Comcast it won't get activated.[/quote]

That's not true, but I can see why you would think that. 

A cable box is a cable box.  A multistream card is a multistream card.  Unless your on a Scientific Atlanta system any motorola or pace model that takes the mototorola M-card would work on a Comcast system, unless it's a new box then it would have to have software loaded unto it to work properly.

Also, if that company only got boxes from ebay and crooked contractors I doubt they would have so many to sell lol

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

cableuser12345 wrote:

[quote]Also if a person bought a box that came from say Charter and tried to activate it on Comcast it won't get activated.[/quote]

That's not true, but I can see why you would think that. 

A cable box is a cable box.  A multistream card is a multistream card.  Unless your on a Scientific Atlanta system any motorola or pace model that takes the mototorola M-card would work on a Comcast system, unless it's a new box then it would have to have software loaded unto it to work properly.

Also, if that company only got boxes from ebay and crooked contractors I doubt they would have so many to sell lol

Comcast is compliant with the FCC ruling that we offer customers the option to purchase a digital descrambler through authorized retail outlets. Comcast would then supply the customer with a POD (point of deployment) authorization card.

However, we are not aware of any Motorola digital converters being offered through authorized retail outlets in the United Sates. Since we know of no retailers or cable companies yet selling these Motorola digital converters in the United States, any such device could be the property of another cable company. 

If we determine by the serial number that the box is stolen and/or the property of another cable company, we would not support it. Information received would then be turned over to the proper authorities.

Please see posting guidelines
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

#9: Do not Post advertisements or solicitations  

The Comcast Help Forums are not to be used for trading/swapping, selling or advertising non-Comcast products, services, or other online venues. This includes multilevel marketing schemes and soliciting funds or other donations for what may or may not be a charitable cause. Members who post referral links to these sites will have their posts/signatures edited and may be subject to banning. Community memberships created solely for such purposes will be banned.