New Visitor
mzack

what happened to my channels?

As of this morning, the two tv's (current model LCD's with built in tuners) that I just 'cable-in' directly to (no Comcast box) have lost all channels except the standard over the airwaves broadcast HD (it seems like all I can get are CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and a few select others).  Everything else is gone.

What has Comcast done...?  Am I the only one?

thx  -

Mike

Avon, CT

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: what happened to my channels?

Digital Transition.  Comcast is converting expanded basic channels from analog to digital and encrypting the digital channels other than the basic (mostly local).  Up to two DTA boxes plus a regular digital box (if you don't already have one) available free.  Check out the posts in this forum.

Contributor

No mzack you're not the only one.  I live in Brockton, MA and that happened to me today.  It seems that Comcast is scrambling all channels except OTA.  So now I ask myself, why do I need expensive TV's with digital tuners to watch cable if I need the DTA's?

New Visitor

I am in Michigan and got up this morning to all of my stations being "scrambled" on my hdtv!! You sure aren't the only one!! What's up with this?

New Visitor

Just got off the phone with Comcast and was told that the Digital Transition has occured in our area and that the only way to get the expanded basic cable stations back would be to upgrade to the Digital Basic Starter package and that we now need a box and that would run me $58.98 a month before taxes!!!  What on gods green earth is up with that?  Comcast has a monopoly on our area so that is the only choice for cable out here guess it is time to cancel the cable!! I refuse to pay that kind of money when my money can be better spend elsewhere!!!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You should be able to get up to two DTAs and a regular digital box free from Comcast in order to view your previous analog expanded basic lineup.  That won't include HD channels.

New Visitor

This has happened to me as well.  We live in Indianapolis and can't get some of our favorite channels on any TV not directly linked to the DVR/cable box.  What gives?  It looks like DirectTV might be in our future.

I'm not paying more than I already do to get the rest of my channels.

Contributor
VintageSlots

In a nut shell, your service has been "enhanced".

At least that is what Comcast calls it.

Welcome to 1975.

New Visitor
longway

In my area, Comcast hasn't complete the digital conversion yet.  We still get digital channels using the tuner on our HDTV.  However, Comcast shuffles the content around on different channels.  Try to run the channel scan on your HDTV.  You may find the channels you lost on a different major channel.

Contributor

I am so upset with Comcast, I can't think straight.  My wife first first noticed the missing channels on an older crt tv.   I told her there should not be any problem on our newer TVs which already tuned digital cable signals.  So, we talked about going out and replacing the old tv.  Then to my shock, I found that all of the TVs in our house were no longer functioning.  Missing channels on all of them.  I went and had my big Sony HDTV rescan and although many digital channels were found, my TV guide was broken.  I can't find the basic channels that I like anymore.  I had to go online and request some cheap boxes from comcast, but I will soon be looking for alternatives.  If I have to add a box to our three wall mounted flat screen TVs, it might as well be a decent digital box with HD output.  I am going to see what I can get from satellite alternatives.  I have looked at these in the past and was tempted, but only held off because I didn't want to have to add boxes and new remotes.  Well Comcast evened that playing field out, didn't they?  Now, there is no advantage to comcast for me.

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

[ Edited ]

be_as_u_are wrote:

Just got off the phone with Comcast and was told that the Digital Transition has occured in our area and that the only way to get the expanded basic cable stations back would be to upgrade to the Digital Basic Starter package and that we now need a box and that would run me $58.98 a month before taxes!!!  What on gods green earth is up with that?  Comcast has a monopoly on our area so that is the only choice for cable out here guess it is time to cancel the cable!! I refuse to pay that kind of money when my money can be better spend elsewhere!!!

Sounds like you only had the limited basic service package, the 20 or so channels.  During the transition, the expanded service channels were NOT encrypted, meaning, if you used a clear QAM tuner on your TV, you could get more channels then you paid for.

So your probably back to you limited basic service now.  I agree $60 a month is too much for the 60 so channels of expanded basic service, more like $40 sounds reasonable to me.  But your complaint that you no longer get those free channels you weren't suppose to get in the first place, isn't much of a complaint.

A lot of us paying the $60 a month have suddenly have a lot of our digital equipment rendered useless by this latest change, and speaking for myself, now that I'm forced to use the Motorola STB, I hadn't realized how inferior a product this is, I am incredibly dissatisfied with COMCAST right now.

Anyone got a link to a board discussing viable alternatives to COMCAST, I realize they all use STB also, but if I can get service cheaper with better STB, I might as well go that route then what COMCAST has left me with.