New Visitor
markniles

wireless cable box

why has new comer ATT beat comcast to a wireless box??? first muti room and now this... who is sleeping at the wheel?  when will we have it?and how much will they rip  us off for the chnage???? is comcst too big to care about new tech???? maybe timeto switch...

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: wireless cable box

Its easier for a new offering like ATT's to come out of the box swinging.  Comcast has tons of old equipment out there and maybe they don't think wireless boxes are the way to go.  The can barely get the ones that have cables to work.  :smileyhappy:    From what I have seen in the comcast blogs and on other sites the new boxes and guides are not wireless.

New Visitor
markniles

wireless has got be be the way to go....tie it to current computer routers

New Visitor

I agree. Wirelss allows a lot of flexibility. I want to hide mu cable box but need line of sight.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You can hide your cable box.

The DCX series and the RNG110 have a IR receiver port that you can add a IR receiver, similar to these

http://www.irblaster.info/motorola_rx.html and also available on Ebay, or use the one that comes in the DTA digital adapter kit.

The rest of the boxes you can add a 3rd party IR extender to relay the IR signals.  There are many brands and types, just search for IR extenders.

New Visitor
Goldenarm

I agree with the last post! How can Comcast be the best cable provider in the country and not have this technology available first? Someone did fall asleep at the wheel. I can care less about excessive cable box inventory, I'm sure there is some smart person that works at Comcast thats job is to manage a product line and inventory. Every month I send Comcast a payment, in that payment, is the fee for my modem, cable box and DVR. What would be the difference here? My point to Comcast execs, if they care, is to provide the technolgy, manage your products better, but offer your customers more options. This is what happens when you get too big to care. Note: I have an iphone and every time I call ATT regarding my phone, they’re pushing the cable service too. At first I thought, how is ATT going to compete with Comcast for my business, they're (Comcast) the best, right? Wrong! I need to start rethinking my cable service now. I live in a condo and my office doesn't have a cable line in it. However, I've been looking for and alternative to costly cable installation run and this wireless cable receiver is the solution. Well, it looks like ATT may be getting a call at the first of the year. I hate to give any one carrier all my business, but convenience may trump principle in this case... Also, they're also offering well priced bundles for channels as well. Comcast - you guys need to step your game up! Please!

New Visitor
pic620

New Visitor
pic620

The reason Comcast does not (and will not) use wireless is due to content laws. The technology has been around for decades. But law (federal or local, I forget) exists that mandates that content providers must share packages with other company providers. However the way the law was written, this only applies to content delivered wirelessly. (Some believe it was purposely written this way.) So, because Comcast is unwilling to share things like Comcast Sports Center, they make sure that content is delivered through wires every step of the way. I doubt this will change anytime soon, either.
New Visitor
Acrima

Don't say they "will not" do something unless you're a representative and can honestly say that, anything can happen, and ruling it out. If anything, wireless cable boxes wouldn't pick up the content they wish not to share... BOOM, it's possible again.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

15 month old dead thread now locked.  There was no point adding to such a old dead thread.